Built in conjunction with War Memorial Stadium in 1950, War Memorial Fieldhouse has been a hub for Cowboy and Cowgirl Athletics since that time, and has gone through several renovations to keep the facility a functional area for Wyoming's athletic teams. The unique multi-use facility is currently the indoor home of the Wyoming track and field programs, but also hosts several other large events throughout the year, including the annual Cowboy Wrestling Open.
With more than 34,000 square feet, the Fieldhouse holds a four-lane, 160-meter track that was renovated during the summer of 2011 thanks to a generous $1.1 million donation from the Georgene Hager-LeBar estate. The state-of-the-art surface also includes areas for a throwing cage, long jump pit and pole vault pit, while the building houses coaches' offices for the golf, swimming and track programs and locker rooms and a team room specifically for track. The programs also have access to their own weight room and sports medicine room in War Memorial Fieldhouse. The 69,000 square-foot building was the largest in the state of Wyoming at the time of its construction and features 2,400 seats that overlook the arena floor.
The Fieldhouse is also home to Paul and Marge Roach Hall, which documents the Roach family's contributions to Wyoming Athletics. Paul served as UW's Athletics Director from 1987 to 1996, while also guiding the football team as head coach from 1987-1990. The recently renovated room houses the original memorial to Wyoming's World War II veterans, as well as the Wyoming High School Coaches Hall of Fame.
War Memorial Fieldhouse also served as the home to Cowboy basketball for 31 seasons until the Arena-Auditorium opened in 1982. During that time more than one million fans saw 381 games, including the building's largest crowd (10,580), which saw Wyoming defeat Brigham Young, 63-59, on Feb. 27, 1953. The building was dedicated on Dec. 14-15, 1951, with games against St. Mary's (Calif.) and Indiana. UW defeated the Gaels, 78-69, but lost to the Hoosiers by two points, 57-55. At the time of its construction, the Fieldhouse had a $20,000 removable basketball floor which was raised 16 inches off the tanbark arena floor. Cowgirl basketball began playing in the building during its inaugural season of 1973-74.
The facility currently hosts several indoor track meets a year, as well as accommodating 10 wrestling mats for the Cowboy Open.