SPOKANE, Wash. (Jan. 28, 2017) – The Wyoming tennis team (2-0 overall) resumed dual play and defeated the Idaho Vandals (0-1 overall), 6-1, on Saturday night.
The Cowgirls started off strong by earning the doubles point. The pair of Elisa Koonik and Tessa Van Der Ploeg defeated Jessica Brzozowska and Lucia Badillos, 6-4, while Magdalena Stencel and Miranda Talbert clinched the point with a 6-4 victory over Shion Watabe and Claire Yang. Dorottya Jonas and Ana Tkachenko were down 5-4 against Maria Tavares and Ana Batiri but did not finish.
“I thought we were very disciplined and resilient in doubles today,” head coach Dean Clower said. “I’m very proud of the way we stuck to our style of play and executed. In singles, I loved the fight and composure we played with. I can’t single out one individual because each one of them played Cowgirl tennis. We need to recover tonight and be ready for a battle tomorrow.”
That momentum carried over to singles as Wyoming won five of six matches. Tkachenko earned a straight set victory, 6-3, 6-3, over Yang followed by Koonik with a 6-2, 7-6 win over Watabe. Jonas gave the Cowgirls the victory with her 6-1, 7-6 defeat of Batiri. Stencel needed three sets, 1-6, 6-3, 6-2, in her win against Badillos as did van Der Ploeg who defeated Tavares, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. The final Cowgirl in action was Genkova who lost to Brzozwska, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3.
The Cowgirls will return to action tomorrow morning against the Gonzaga Bulldogs. The match is set for 10 a.m. MT in Spokane.
Wyoming 6, Idaho 1
1. Koonik/van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Brozozowska/Badillos (UI), 6-4
2. Jonas/Tkachenko (WY) def. Tavares/Batiri (UI), 4-5 DNF
3. Stencel/Talbert (WY) def. Watabe/Yang (UI), 6-4
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Lucia Badillos (UI), 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Ana Batiri (UI), 6-1, 7-6
3. Jessica Brzozowska (UI) def. Milka Genkova (WY), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Maria Tavares (UI), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Shion Watabe (UI), 6-2, 7-6
6. Ana Tkachenko (WY) def. Claire Yang (UI), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles 1, 3, 2
Singles 6, 5, 2, 1, 4, 3