LINCOLN, Neb. (Feb. 3, 2017) – The Cowgirl tennis team improved to 3-1 on the spring season with a 7-0 victory over the Creighton Bluejays (2-2 overall) on Friday night.
“The ladies were definitely ready to play today,” head coach Dean Clower
said. “It’s nice seeing each of them getting after it and playing the
Cowgirl way. If we come together as one team we can do well this year.”
Wyoming got off to a good start by earning the doubles point to take the early 1-0 lead. Sophomores Elisa Koonik and Tessa Van Der Ploeg defeated Hylan Miller and Claire Embree, 6-2, while senior Dorottya Jonas and freshman Ana Tkachenko defeated Michaela Henne and Katherine Nelson, 6-2. The pair of freshmen Imogen Clews and Milka Genkova dropped their match against Kendra Lavallee and Darby Rosette, 6-3.
Momentum remained on the side of the Cowgirls as they swept all six matches in singles play. Jonas beat Rosette, 6-1, 6-0 followed by van Der Ploeg who didn’t give up a game in her 6-0, 6-0 win over Nelsen. At the number three position, Genkova defeated Miller, 6-2, 6-1, while Koonik won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, over Henne. The final two in action were Tkachenko and Clews. Tkachenko won easily over Embree, 6-2, 6-1, as Clews closed it out with a 7-5, 6-2 victory against Lavallee.
The Cowgirls will continue play tomorrow against the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The match is set for 10 a.m. MT at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center in Lincoln.
1. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Hylan Miller/Claire Embree (CU), 6-2
2. Dorottya Jonas/Ana Tkachenko (WY) def. Michaela Henne/Katherine Nelsen (CU), 6-2
3. Darby Rosette/Kendra Lavallee (CU) def. Imogen Clews/Milka Genkova (WY), 6-3
1. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Darby Rosette (CU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Katherine Nelsen (CU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Milka Genkova (WY) def. Hylan Miller (CU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Michaela Henne (CU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Ana Tkachenko (WY) def. Claire Embree (CU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Imogen Clews (WY) def. Kendra Lavallee (CU), 7-5, 6-2