EDMOND, Okla. (Jan. 18, 2017) – The Wyoming tennis team (1-0 overall) notched its first dual win of the spring with a 7-0 sweep of the Central Oklahoma Bronchos on Wednesday.
“I thought we were very professional for our very first tournament,” head coach Dean Clower said. “The ladies were definitely hungry to play and started executing how we play Cowgirl tennis. The team has been working very hard while we have been in Tulsa and I am proud of the strides we have made.”
The Cowgirls started off strong by sweeping all three doubles matches to go ahead 1-0. At the number three position, Imogen Clews and Magdalena Stencel defeated Jenny Bond and Alix Williams, 6-2 while Dorottya Jonas and Ana Tkachenko clinched the point with 6-1 win over Shali Schoepflin and Emilie Semo. Milka Genkova and Elisa Koonik defeated Kirtana Bhat and Alli Hodges, 6-3.
That momentum carried over to singles as Wyoming swept all six matches. Jonas defeated Hodges, 2-6, 7-5, 1-0, followed by Genkova with a solid two set win, 6-2, 6-1, over Bhat. Stencel also earned a straight set win, 6-0, 6-0, over Schoepflin. At the fourth position, Koonik needed three sets, 6-0, 4-6, 6-2, against Williams. The final two Cowgirls in action were Tkachenko and Clews. Tkachenko defeated Semo, 6-1, 6-2, while Clews disposed of Bond, 6-0, 6-2.
The Cowgirls will return to action on Friday at the Hurricane Invite in Tulsa. Wyoming will face opponents from Denver, Oral Roberts and Tulsa.
Wyoming 7, Central Oklahoma 0
1. Genkova/Koonik (WY) def. Bhat/Hodges (UCO), 6-3
2. Jonas/Tkachenko (WY) def. Schoepflin/Semo (UCO), 6-1
3. Clews/Stencel (WY) def. Bond/Williams (UCO), 6-2
1. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Alli Hodges (UCO), 2-6, 7-5, 1-0
2. Milka Genkova (WY) def. Kirtana Bhat (UCO), 6-2, 6-1
3. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Shali Schoepflin (UCO), 6-0, 6-0
4. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Alix Williams (UCO), 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
5. Ana Tkachenko (WY) def. Emilie Semo (UCO), 6-1, 6-2
6. Imogen Clews (WY) def. Jenny Bond (UCO), 6-0, 6-2