LARAMIE, Wyo. (Feb. 11, 2017) – The Wyoming tennis team (5-2 overall) won its second straight match with a 6-1 victory over the Montana State Bobcats (2-2 overall) on Saturday afternoon.
“I thought we were very professional about how we played today,” head coach Dean Clower said. “I’m proud of the way we were able to bend but not break. It’s really fun to all of the ladies getting after it playing Cowgirl tennis. Thanks to the great crowd we had today supporting us. There is definitely no better place to plan than UW.”
Wyoming jumped out to a 1-0 early lead by taking all three doubles matches. The duo of Magdalena Stencel and Miranda Talbert defeated Angelina Philippova and Wanda Holopainen, 6-1, followed by a 6-3 victory by Dorottya Jonas and Ana Tkachenko over Chloe Goyette and Jessica Brycki. At the number one spot, Elisa Koonik and Tessa Van Der Ploeg earned a 7-6 (7-4) win over Naomi Holopainen and Laura Middel.
Momentum carried over to singles play with the Cowgirls winning five of six matches. van Der Ploeg won easily, 6-4, 6-0, over Naomi Holopainen, while Jonas won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, against Goyette. At the number one spot, Stencel beat Middel, 6-4, 6-4. Wyoming clinched the point with Koonik beating Philippova, 6-3, 6-3. Tkachenko gave the Cowgirls its sixth point with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Wanda Holopainen. Brycki defeated Milka Genkova, 7-5, 6-2.
Wyoming will return to action next Saturday morning. The Cowgirls will welcome the UTEP Miners beginning at 11 a.m. MT at the UW Indoor Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
Montana State vs Wyoming Cowgirls
Feb 11, 2017 at Laramie, Wyo.
(UW Indoor Tennis Courts)
Wyoming Cowgirls 6, Montana State 1
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. MIDDEL, Laura (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. GOYETTE, Chloe (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. HOLOPAINEN, Naomi (MSU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. PHILIPPOVA, Angelina (MSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. BRYCKI, Jessica (MSU) def. Milka Genkova (WY) 7-5, 6-2
6. Ana Tkachenko (WY) def. HOLOPAINEN, Wanda (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. MIDDEL, Laura/HOLOPAINEN, Naomi (MSU), 7-6 (7-4)
2. Dorottya Jonas/Ana Tkachenko (WY) def. GOYETTE, Chloe/BRYCKI, Jessica (MSU) 6-3
3. Magdalena Stencel/Miranda Talbert (WY) def. PHILIPPOVA, Angelina/HOLOPAINEN, Wanda (MSU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,2,1,4,6,5)