Oct. 31, 2011
LARAMIE, Wyo. - On Monday, the Manning Award, sponsored by the Allstate Sugar Bowl, selected Wyoming freshman quarterback Brett Smith as one of its eight "Stars of the Week", making him a candidate for the Manning Award Player of the Week.
Fans may vote online at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Facebook page to vote for the quarterback they feel had the top performance of the week.
Click here for a link to this week's voting.
Voting is open until this Thursday at 8 a.m. Mountain Time. This week's top vote-getter will be named the Manning Award Player of the Week
Smith threw for a personal best 341 yards and accounted for a personal high of 365 yards of total offense, while throwing two touchdown passes and rushing for two in Wyoming's 30-27 road win at San Diego State last Saturday. Smith completed 69.4 percent of his passes (25 of 36) on the day.
He scored Wyoming's first TD of the game, a two-yard run on the Cowboys' first possession of the game, and proceeded to lead the Cowboys to scoring drives on five of its six first-half possessions.
Smith enters this week ranked No. 2 in the Mountain West and No. 30 in the nation in total offense, averaging 271.4 yards per game. He also ranks No. 2 in the MW and No. 41 in the NCAA in passing yards, averaging 237.9 yards passing per game.
The Manning Award honors the accomplishments of Archie Manning and his two sons, Peyton and Eli Manning, who each had outstanding careers as college quarterbacks. The Manning Award was created in 2004 by the Allstate Sugar Bowl. This season will mark the eighth season that the Manning Award will be presented to the nation's top quarterback. It is the only quarterback award that includes each candidate's bowl performance in its selection process. The Manning Award Website can be found here.
This week's eight Manning "Stars of the Week" and Player of the Week candidates are:
- James Franklin, Missouri (38-31 Overtime road win at Texas A&M): 16 of 24 for 198 passing yards, 97 rushing yards, 2 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs, 0 Interceptions
- Landry Jones, Oklahoma (58-17 Road win at Kansas State): 35 of 47 for 505 passing yards, 5 passing TDs,0 Interceptions
- Case Keenum, Houston (73-34 Home win over Rice): 24 of 37 for 534 yards, 9 passing TDs, 1 Interception
- Andrew Luck, Stanford (56-48 Triple overtime road win at USC): 29 of 40 for 330 yards, 3 passing TDs, 1 Interception
- Brett Smith, Wyoming (30-27 Road win at San Diego State): 25 of 36 for 341 yards, 2 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs, 0 Interceptions
- Tino Sunseri, Pittsburgh (35-20 Home win over Connecticut): 29 of 42 for 419 yards, 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD, 0 Interceptions
- Tevin Washington, Georgia Tech (31-17 Home win over Clemson): 4 of 9 for 60 yards, 176 rushing yards, 0 passing TDs, 1 interception
- Tyler Wilson, Arkansas (31-28 Road win at Vanderbilt): 27 of 43 for 316 passing yards, 1 passing TD, 0 interceptions