Wyoming Wrestling Hosts 33rd Annual Cowboy Open

Nov. 13, 2005


20 & Under Brackets/Results in PDF Format
Open Brackets/Results in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

The University of Wyoming wrestling team began their tournament season with the 33rd Annual Cowboy Open in War Memorial Fieldhouse, on Sunday. Senior Malcolm Havens took home the 197 pound title, while sophomore Kyle Dye earned the Most Falls Award with all five of his victories coming by pin.

Havens clinched the title when his third victory of the day was a 3-0 decision over Reece Hopkin of Northern Colorado. Another of his victories was a 13-4 major decision against Cody Mumma of Western State College.

"It feels great to win at our own tournament," said Havens. "It is a good way to start off the season, but there are still a lot of things I feel I need to work on."

"Malcolm would not be denied today and did everything he needed to do to win his matches," said UW head coach Steven Suder.

Another Cowboy who found his way into the championship round was senior Bryce Leonhardt. The 125 pounder's hard fought effort against Rob McCabe of Adams State in the final was not enough as he fell just short in a 5-4 decision. Other than that match, Leonhardt finished the day with two wins including a 11-3 major decision over Brock Zollinger of Montana State-Northern.

Dye finished the day with a 5-1 record with all of his wins won by fall. The sophomore's impressive third place performance was capped off with a pin in the 149 pound consolation championship over John Muri from the University of Great Falls at the 3:45 mark. All of Dye's victories totalled a time of 11:49 earning him the Most Falls Award in the tournament.

"I raced over to two off his matches to watch him win both of them in a total of 15 seconds," said a laughing Suder. "He had a great day and had fun doing it. At one point I ask him how much fun he was having and he just looked at me with a big smile on his face."

Sophomore Danny Clum was having a great day with three consecutive wins until he was forced to withdraw from the tournament when a suffered an injury in his fourth match. Junior Gary Dack posted a 2-2 record in the 165 pound bracket, while 133 pound senior Tyson Shatto and 174 pound redshirt freshman Dan Barrone both finished the day with one win and two losses. Sophomore Jason Still was 0-2 in heavyweight action.

"Overall I thought the day went pretty good," said Suder. " One thing that I thought our guys got out of today was that they were not afraid to get after their opponents and score points."

The Pokes will next be in action this Saturday when they compete in the Nebraska-Omaha Open in Omaha, Neb., on November 19.