Cowgirl Soccer Battles To A 1-1 Tie With Utah

Oct. 8, 2010


Box Score in PDF Format Get Acrobat Reader

The Wyoming Cowgirl Soccer team (6-7-1 overall, 0-1-1 Mountain West Conference) played a tough game against the Utah Utes (3-11-1, 1-0-1 MWC), ultimately tying 1-1.

"I was pleased we were able to go on the road and get a result," Cowgirl head coach Danny Sanchez said. "We gave up the early goal but were able to bounce right back and get one of our own."

The Cowgirls and the Utes played each other tough all evening, but neither was able to come out on top. The Beginning of the game saw an early goal from both teams. In the 10th minute of the game the Utes were awarded a corner kick that Morgan Skeen centered into the UW goal area, and it was headed by Lexi Krantz past UW keeper Courtney Merkle giving Utah the early 1-0 advantage. The Cowgirls came right back and answered the Ute goal with a goal of their own just 45 seconds later. Wyoming's Jerrica DiVincenzo took a quick shot from 23 yards out putting it over the head of Utah keeper Hannah Turpen and into the back of the Ute net, tying the score 1-1. The Cowgirls and the Utes would trade shots the rest of the first half but neither could gain the advantage, the score went to halftime tied 1-1.

The second half saw the Cowgirls put the pressure on the Utes taking seven shots with four of them on goal, but none hit the back of the Utah net. The Utes also applied pressure to Cowgirl keeper Merkle taking three shots on goal, but she had the answer each time keeping the ball out. The second half would end just as the first half tied 1-1, so the Cowgirls and the Utes would attempt to settle it in overtime.

The first overtime began with the Utes taking the first three shots, but they were only able to get one on goal and Merkle was able to make the save. The Cowgirls concluded the first overtime period with three consecutive shots of their own, and they also only got one on goal that was saved by UU keeper Turpen. After one overtime period the score remained tied 1-1.

In the second overtime period UW proved to be the aggressor taking six shots, but they only were able to manage one on goal. The Cowgirl defense allowed just one shot from the Utah offense in the second overtime period. Neither team could end the tie as the clock hit 110 minutes and the game finished in a 1-1 tie.

"I think our back four and Courtney (Merkle) played very solid today withstanding the early Utah pressure," added Sanchez.

Wyoming soccer will continue its road trip with two more conference games next weekend. The Cowgirls will travel to Las Vegas, Nev. to take on the UNLV Rebels on Thursday Oct. 14 beginning at 7 p.m. Mountain Time. They will say on the road next weekend traveling to San Diego on Saturday Oct. 16 to take on the San Diego State Aztecs beginning at 12 p.m. Mountain Time.