Wyoming Soccer Beats New Mexico 1-0 in Double Overtime

Oct. 21, 2005


Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

The lone goal of the game took over 105 minutes to materialize, but the Wyoming soccer team scored it to beat New Mexico 1-0 in double overtime, Friday afternoon at the UW Soccer Stadium.

With the conference win, the Cowgirls improve to 6-6-3 overall and 2-3 in Mountain West Conference play while New Mexico falls to 4-6-4 overall and 1-3-1 in the MWC.

"This is a huge win for us," said UW head coach Anne Moore. "Every conference win is big because everything is so tight this year. The league is going to come down to one game and it was important for us to get back in the win column with just two conference games left."

After 105 minutes and seven seconds of scoreless soccer, the Cowgirls scored the game winning goal when senior Mercy Adetoye sent a pass through the New Mexico defense to freshman Tamika Wilson. Wilson ran on to the ball and fired the game winning shot from the right side of the field. The goal was Wilson's fifth of the year and the assist makes Adetoye the all-time assist leader at Wyoming.

The Cowgirls picked up their second conference win despite being out-shot 18-12 in the match. Sophomore Ashley Sheppard had a solid game in the UW net, making seven saves en route to her second MWC shutout. Her biggest play of the game came with 15:20 remaining in the first half when she made a diving save on a point blank shot by Lobo Kaela Kelly inside of 15 yards.

"New Mexico is a tough team, especially on defense and we knew it was going to be a challenge to break them down and score," said Moore. "They are very organized and it took a perfect ball form Mercy to Tamika to finally get that goal. We practiced that play in practice this week and it is awesome that we got a goal out of it today. Mercy played a perfect ball and Tamika placed it beautifully."

The Cowgirls will return to action on Sunday as they take on the newest member of the MWC, TCU. Game time is set for 1 p.m. at the UW Soccer Stadium.

"Our weekend isn't over, we have another big time game on Sunday," added Moore. "We can enjoy this one today but we have to get back to work and get the one on Sunday to complete the weekend."