Wyoming Soccer And UNLV Battle To A Scoreless Draw

Oct. 23, 2011


UNLV-WY Final Box Score Get Acrobat Reader | Video Highlights

On senior day, the Wyoming Cowgirl soccer team (9-5-4 overall, 2-1-2 Mountain West) battled the UNLV Rebels (7-8-3 overall, 3-1-1 MW) to a scoreless draw at the Louis S. Madrid Soccer Pitch.

"I felt the first half was pretty even, but the second half I think UNLV had the run of play," Cowgirl head coach Danny Sanchez said. "At the end of the day I think it is a fair result."

The first half started with both teams battling for ball control. Cowgirl Sara Paul took UW's first shot in the eighth minute, but it was blocked by the UNLV defense. In the 14th minute, Wyoming had an early chance to score off a corner kick when Nicole Rice put her head to the ball, but the ball sailed high of the UNLV net. UNLV took its first shot in the 20th minute, but it did not threaten the UW goal. Cowgirl Ellen McCormick put UW's first shot on goal in the 30th minute forcing UNLV keeper Kylie Wassell to make the save. Five minutes later McCormick put another shot on goal that again was saved by Wassell. In the 39th minute, Cowgirl Liz O'Reilly put a shot on frame for UW, but again Wassell made the save. The final chance to score for UW came in the 43rd minute when Ashlyn Mazur took a header shot that was saved by the UNLV defense. At halftime the Cowgirls and the Rebels remained tied 0-0.

The second half started much like the first half with both teams battling for possession. The first shot of the half came in the 56th minute when UNLV's Jenna Larkin took a shot that went high of the UW net. In the 62nd minute, UNLV put its first shot on frame, but Cowgirl keeper Courtney Merkle had the answer making the save. Cowgirl Lucie McDowell took UW's next shot in the 68th minute that went high of the UNLV goal. The teams went without a shot for 12 minutes before UNLV put another shot on goal that was saved by Merkle. The Rebels put another shot on frame in the 82nd minute, but again it was saved by Merkle. UNLV put one more shot at the UW goal one minute later, but it did not threaten the UW net. Neither team took another shot in the second half and the score remained tied at the end of regulation. The tie forced two sudden death overtime periods.

In the first overtime, Wyoming forced the pressure on UNLV. In the first six minutes of the overtime UW took three shots, but none forced a save by Wassell. The Cowgirls continued the pressure with two shots on goal in the last two minutes of the overtime. Mazur and Kasey Curtis put shots on the UNLV goal that forced Wassell to make game saving plays. The teams remained tied after the first overtime period.

"I was really pleased with how we played in the first overtime," Sanchez said. "We created some really good chances to score."

The second overtime saw both teams take shots. UNLV took the first shot of the overtime and put it on frame, but Merkle had the answer keeping the ball out. McCormick took a shot for UW, but it did not threaten the UNLV goal. Neither team managed another shot in the game and the score remained tied 0-0.

The Cowgirls outshot the rebels 15-11 on the game and put six shots on goal to four for the Rebels. McCormick led UW with four shots and two on goal. Mazur took two shots with both on goal.

Next up for the Cowgirls will be a road trip for Colorado Springs, Colo., on Saturday, Oct. 29 to take on the Air Force Falcons.

"This is the best Air Force team since I have been here," Sanchez said. "There is a lot for us to play for next weekend. Every time we play Air Force it is a battle. We are really going to need to be ready to play next Saturday."