TULSA, Okla. -
The Wyoming tennis team (1-1 overall) notched its first dual win of the spring with a 7-0 sweep of the Central Oklahoma Bronchos on Monday afternoon.
"It was a good start to the year today," UW head coach Dean Clower said. "We came out very intense and played good doubles. We have a quick turn around and need to build on the things we have been working on. Many thanks to the Shadow Mountain Racket Club members for coming out and supporting us today."
The Cowgirls started off strong by sweeping all three doubles matches to go ahead 1-0. The number one team of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva defeated Kirtana Bhat and Alli Hodges, 6-0, 6-3, while Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert clinched the point with 6-1 win over Anya Minakova and Alix Williams. Sanne Hoekstra and Tessa van Der Ploeg wrapped up doubles action with a 6-2 victory over Shali Schoepflin and Emilie Semo.
That momentum carried over to singles as Wyoming swept all six matches. Stencel defeated Hodges, 6-4, 6-2, followed by Jonas with a solid two set win, 6-1, 6-2, over Bhat. Tokareva also earned a straight set win, 6-2, 6-0, over Williams. At the fourth position, van Der Ploeg defeated Minakova, 6-2, 6-1. The final two Cowgirls in action were Talbert and Hoekstra. Talbert defeated Schoepflin, 6-1, 6-1, while Hoekstra disposed of Semo, 6-2, 6-1.
The Cowgirls will return to action later this evening against the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles with an 8:30 p.m. MT start. Results will be available tomorrow morning.
Wyoming 7, Central Oklahoma 0
1. Stencel/Tokareva (WY) def. Bhat/Hodges (UCO), 6-0
2. Hoekstra/van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Schoepflin/Semo (UCO), 6-2
3. Jonas/Talbert (WY) def. Minakova/Williams (UCO), 6-1
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Alli Hodges (UCO), 6-4, 6-2
2. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Kirtana Bhat (UCO), 6-1, 6-2
3. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Alex Williams (UCO), 6-2, 6-0
4. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Anya Minakova (UCO), 6-2, 6-1
5. Miranda Talbert (WY) def. Shali Schoepflin (UCO), 6-1, 6-1
6. Sanne Hoekstra (WY) def. Emilie Semo (UCO, 6-2, 6-1