Jan. 20, 2013
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The 61st ranked Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team finished up their weekend with a 5-2 loss against the 32nd ranked Washington State Cougars, on Sunday morning in Pullman.
"I was happy with the way we played solid doubles against a good team," said head coach Dean Clower. "We talked about coming out and letting our opponent know that they were in for a battle and we did that. I couldn't ask for much more from the players when it came down to an effort stand point. We are on the right track to getting where we need to be. We will work on some execution things this week in practice and be read for the ITA Kick-Off next weekend."
In doubles play, the Cowgirls had a strong showing as they earned the first point of the day. The team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova dominated with an 8-0 win over Charlotte Koning and Lize Leenknecht. The 52nd ranked team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova won the point with an 8-6 win over the number one team of Ksenia Googe and Andjela Kankaras. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova were up in their match over Liudmila Vasilleva and Elizaveta Luzina, 7-6, but the match was not completed.
It would be a battle between the two teams in singles action as it came down to the wire. The Cougars earned their first two points of the day as Luzina defeated Nemcova at the fourth position and Vasilieva won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, over Synkova. Popovici won the second point for the Cowgirls with a 6-4, 6-3 victory against Kandaras. Kovacs would win the first 6-3 over Googe, but she would come back and win the next two sets, 6-3, 6-2, to give Washington State a 3-2 lead. Unfortunately, the Cowgirls would fall in both matches at the fifth and sixth positions. Charlotte Koning defeated Zhelyazkova, 6-1, 6-3 to win the match for the Cougars and Parizher lost to Olga Musilovich, 7-5, 6-2.
The Cowgirls will be back in action at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Durham, N.C. They will open up with a match against the #63 ranked College of Charleston, on Saturday, Jan. 26. The match is set for 12:00 p.m. Mountain Time.
#32 Washington State 5, #61 Wyoming 2
1. #52 Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Kankaras/Googe (WSU), 8-6
2. Kovacs/Nemcova (WY) vs. Vasilieva/Luzina (WSU), 7-6 DNF
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Koning/Lize Leenknecht (WSU), 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Luidmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Simona Synkova (WY), 6-3, 6-4
2. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Ksenia Googe (WSU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WY), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WY), 6-4, 6-2
5. Olga Musilovich (WSU) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 7-5, 6-2
6. Charlotte Koning (WSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 6, 5