ATHENS, Ga. -
In the consolation match of the 2016 ITA Kick-Off Weekend, the 74th ranked Wyoming tennis team (3-2 overall) bounced back with a 4-3 victory over the 65th Tulane Green Wave (0-3 overall) on Saturday afternoon.
“I’m really proud of the way we competed as a team,” UW head coach Dean Clower said. “We are continually getting better at making the right decisions. Magdalena and Dorottya showed what it takes to win at this level and the underclassmen have followed suite. We will travel home tomorrow and the team will get a well-deserved day off.”
Freshmen Elisa Koonik and Sanne Hoekstra began the day with a 6-3 victory over Kyla Klier and Jacqui Katz in doubles play while the duo of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva defeated Sade Atkinson and Ipek Birol, 6-3, to clinch the doubles point. Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert were tied 4-4 against Elena Muller and Naz Karagoz but did not finish the match.
At the number three position, Jonas defeated Birol, 6-0, 6-3 to go up 2-0 in the match. The Green Wave won the next three matches to pull ahead 3-2. Klier defeated Tokareva in three sets, 7-5, 0-6, 6-1 while Muller needed three sets as well, 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1, in her win over Koonik. Talbert lost in two-sets, 6-0, 6-0. It came down to the final two matches of the day at the number one and six positions. Stencel lost the first set 6-3 against Karagoz but rallied to win 7-5, 6-4. van Der Ploeg would seal the victory for the Cowgirls with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Meredith Maltby.
Wyoming will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 6 against the UMKC Kangaroos. The match is set to begin at 6 p.m. MT in Lincoln, Neb.
#74 Wyoming 4, #65 Tulane 3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Naz Karagoz (TLN) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Kyla Klier (TLN) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY) 7-5, 0-6, 6-1
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Ipek Birol (TLN) 6-0, 6-3
4. Elena Muller (TLN) def. Elisa Koonik (WY) 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
5. Jacqui Katz (TLN) def. Miranda Talbert (WY) 6-0, 6-0
6. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Meredith Maltby (TLN) 6-4, 6-4
1. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Sade Atkinson/Ipek Birol (TLN) 6-3
2. Elena Muller/Naz Karagoz (TLN) vs. Miranda Talbert/Dorottya Jonas (WY) 4-4, unfinished
3. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Kyla Klier/Jacqui Katz (TLN) 6-3
Wyoming 3-2; National ranking #74
Tulane 0-3; National ranking #65
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,2,4,5,1,6)