GREELEY, Colo. - The Cowgirl tennis team remained undefeated in dual play as it beat the Northern Colorado Bears, 5-2, on Sunday morning.
"We definitely didn't play our best tennis today and that had a lot to with Northern Colorado," head coach Dean Clower said. "Our seniors stepped up and clinched the match and showed their leadership. Magdalena (Stencel) played tennis with a lot of fire and has all the skills necessary to get the next level."
The Cowgirls started off strong by sweeping all three doubles matches to go ahead 1-0. The number one team of Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel defeated Beth Coton and Courtney Schulte, 7-5, while Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva clinched the point with a 7-5 win against Chrissie Hoolahan and Lindsey Bennet. Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova wrapped up doubles action with a win over Hilary Walters-West and Marissa Baca, 6-2.
That momentum carried over to singles as Wyoming won four out of six matches. Stencel defeated Hoolahan, 6-3, 6-2, followed by Zhelyazkova over Walters-West, 6-2, 6-8, 6-1. Parizher needed three sets, 6-0, 6-7, 6-2, against Bennet. Espinosa wrapped up the match with a 6-4, 6-2 win against Baca.
The Cowgirls will return to on Friday against the Texas Tech Lady Raiders. The match is set for 4 p.m. MT in Lubbock.
Wyoming 5, Northern Colorado 2
1. Magdalena Stencel (WYO) def. Chrissie Hoolahan (UNCO) 6-3, 6-2
2. Lea Krajcovicova (UNCO) def. Dorottya Jonas (WYO) 6-3, 6-4
3. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Hilary Walters-West (UNCO) 6-1, 6-8, 6-1
4. Beth Coton (UNCO) def. Christa Gecheva (WYO) 6-2, 6-4
5. Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Lindsey Bennet (UNCO) 6-0, 6-7, 6-2
6. Alma Espinosa (WYO) def. Marissa Baca (UNCO) 6-4, 6-3
1. Magdalena Stencel/Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Beth Coton / Courtney Schulte (UNCO) 7-5
2. Christa Gecheva/Alma Espinosa (WYO) def. Chrissie Hoolahan / Lindsey Bennet (UNCO) 7-5
3. Silviya Zhelyazkova/Dorottya Jonas (WYO) def. Hilary Walters-West / Marissa Baca (UNCO) 6-