Jan. 28, 2012
WACO, Texas -
The 75th ranked Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team opened up the 2012 spring season with a 6-1 victory against the 73rd UT-Arlington Mavericks on Saturday morning. It was part of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend held at several sites around the country.
In doubles play, it was tough going as all three teams lost with the Mavericks taking the first point. UTA earned their first win of the day as Maria Martinez Romero and Nikova Matovicova defeated the 44th ranked team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici, 8-2. It was a battle for Silviya Zhelyazkova and Jessica Parizher as they fell 9-8 against Verena Scott and Christine Foote. In the third match, Sasa Nemcova and Alexandra Kovacs were down to Giada D'ortona and Natalia Mayuk, 8-7.
It was much different in singles play as the Cowgirls rebounded with a clean sweep. At the number three position, Sasa Nemcova won the first point for UW by defeating Giada D'ortona, 6-2, 6-2, which was followed by Zhelyzkova winning in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, over Matovicova. Simona Synkova followed with a 7-5, 6-0 win against Mayuk, while Alexandra Kovacs clinched the match with her 6-4, 6-4 victory over Verena Scott. The other two Cowgirls in action also earned wins. Jessica Parizher won 6-2, 7-6 (1-0) over Christine Foote, as well as Veronica Popovici at the number one spot, 6-4, 6-3, against Martinez Romero.
The Cowgirls will be back in action tomorrow morning as they face the fifth ranked Baylor Bears to close out the weekend. The match is set for 10:00 a.m. Mountain Time in Waco.
#75 Wyoming 6 #73 UT Arlington 1
1. Martinez Romero/Matovicova (UTA) def. #44 Popovici/Synkova (WY) 8-2
2. D'ortona/Mayuk (UTA) leading Kovacs/Nemcova (WY), 8-7 unfinished
3. Scott/Foote (UTA) def. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) 9-8
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Maria Martinez Romero (UTA) 6-4, 6-3
2. Simona Synkova (WY) Natalia Mayuk (UTA) 7-5, 6-0
3. Sasa Nemcoa (WY) Giada D'ortona (UTA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) Nikola Matovicova (UTA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jessica Parizher (WY) Christine Foote (UTA) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) Verena Scott (UTA) 6-4, 6-4