LUBBOCK, Texas -
The Cowgirl tennis team opened up the weekend with a 4-0 loss against the 29th ranked Texas Tech Lady Raiders on Friday in Lubbock.
"The final score has no reflection on how close all the matches were and the fight we brought today," head coach Dean Clower said. "We played solid doubles and had we executed better in certain situations could have clinched the doubles point. The players will rest up tonight and be ready to bring it against a solid Auburn team."
In doubles action, the Lady Raiders took two out of three matches needed to win the first point of the day. Lynn Kiro and Sabrina Federici defeated Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva, 6-2, while Gabriela Talaba and Hortense Boscher clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Silviya Zhelyazkova and Dorottya Jonas. Magdalena Stencel and Jessica Parizher were down to Kenna Kilgo and Sarah Dvorak, 6-5.
At the number one spot, Stencel battled Kilgo and won the first set, 6-2. Unfortunately, she would fall in the next two, 6-2, 6-2. Dvorak defeated Jonas in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, while Talaba beat Parizher, 6-1, 6-0 to close out the match. Zhelyazkova was up in her match, 6-4, 1-6, 5-4, but did not finish, while Gecheva and Espinosa were each in the first set of their matches and not completed.
The Cowgirls close out the weekend tomorrow against the 28th ranked Auburn Tigers. Due to the inclement weather, the match has been moved inside to the Lubbock Country Club. It will start following the Texas Tech/Auburn match which is set to begin at 12 p.m. Mountain Time.
#29 Texas Tech 4, Wyoming 0
1. Kenna Kilgo (TTU) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Sarah Dvorak (TTU) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-3, 6-1
3. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) vs. Lynn Kiro (TTU), 6-4, 1-6, 5-4 DNF
4. Gabriela Talaba (TTU) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-1, 6-0
5. Christa Gecheva (WY) vs. Sabrina Federici (TTU), 2-5 DNF
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) vs. Czarniak (TTU), 0-3 DNF
1. Magdalena Stencel/Jessica Parizher (WYO) vs. Kenna Kilgo/Sarah Dvorak (TTU), 6-5 DNF
2. Lynn Kiro/Sabrina Federici (TTU) def. Alma Espinosa/Christa Gecheva (WY), 6-2
3. Gabriela Talaba/Hortense Boscher (TTU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova/Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-4