Feb. 1, 2004
Cheyenne, Wyoming - The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team dropped their first match of the spring season to the Denver Pioneers on Sunday morning in Cheyenne. The Cowgirls fall to 0-1 overall, while the Pioneers improve their record to 3-0 overall.
In doubles play, the Pioneers earned the point by winning all three matches. The number one team of Yuliani Santi and Jennifer Hancock fell to Yanick Dullens and Suzana Maksovic, 8-1. DU's Jenny Trettin and Barbara Kourim ousted Karolina Rowinski and Amy Senko, 8-5, at the No. 2 spot, while the team of Patricia Chien and Gwen Moser came up short against Crystal Knysh and Marisa Meecham, 8-2.
The Cowgirls also fell short as Denver swept all six singles matches led by Yanick Dullens with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Patricia Chien. Senior Jennifer Hancock battled until the end but was defeated 6-3, 7-5 by Suzana Maksovic at the second spot. The Pioneers Jenny Trettin won in straight sets 6-2, 6-2 over freshman Karolina Rowinski, while Megan Williams fell 6-3, 6-0 to Rachel Sackmaster at the No. 5 spot. Yuliani Santi also fell 6-2, 6-3 in her match against Barbara Kourim. Denver rounded out singles play with a Beth Messaros 6-2, 6-3 victory over Amy Senko.
"It was an extremely tough match to start out with," said head coach Pam Wildt. "They came in with a lot of confidence coming in to the match after defeating Colorado during the week so it was hard for us to get anything going. Overall, it was a lesson well learned and will help us going into next week determining our line-ups for the next few matches."
Wyoming will now head out on the road for several matches. They will face the Creighton Blue Jays, FridayFeb. 6, the Wichita State Shockers, Saturday Feb. 7, and the Nebraska Cornhuskers, Sunday Feb. 8. All three matches will be played in Lincoln, Nebraska.
1. Yanick Dullens (DU) def. Patricia Chien (UW), 6-0, 6-2
2. Suzana Maksovic (DU) def. Jennifer Hancock (UW), 6-3, 7-5
3. Jenny Trettin (DU) def. Karolina Rowinski (UW), 6-2, 6-2
4. Barbara Kourim (DU) def. Yuliani Santi (UW), 6-2, 6-3
5. Rachel Sackmaster (DU) def. Megan Williams (UW), 6-3, 6-0
6. Beth Messaros (DU) def. Amy Senko (UW), 6-2, 6-3
1. Dullens/Maksovic (DU) def. Hancock/Santi (UW), 8-1
2. Trettin/Kourim (DU) def. Rowinski/Senko (UW), 8-5
3. Knysh/Messaros (DU) def. Chien/Moser (UW), 8-2