LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Cowgirl tennis team had another tough battle on their hands as they closed out the weekend with a 4-0 loss against the 28th ranked Auburn Tigers. The match was played at the Lubbock Country Club.
"Overall, I felt like this was a good weekend for us," head coach Dean Clower said. "We got better on a lot of things we have been working on. The one thing we have to do better is taking our chances when they come which we didn't do today."
In doubles action, the Tigers took two out of three matches needed to win the first point of the day. Pleun Burgmans and Emily Flickinger earned a 6-1 win over Magdalena Stencel and Jessica Parizher, while Michala Kucharova and Paula de Man clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Silviya Zhelyazkova and Dorottya Jonas. Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva were 5-4 in their match against Jen Pfeifler and Reka Muller.
At the number one spot, Stencel dropped her match against Burgmans, 7-5, 6-0. Dikosavlievic defeated Zhelyazkkova in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4, while Muller beat Parizher, 7-5, 6-2 to close out the match. Jonas was down a set against Flickinger, but did not finish, while Gecheva and Espinosa were each in the first set of their matches and not completed.
The Wyoming tennis team will be back in action on Friday, Feb. 13 as it hosts the first home match of the spring. The Cowgirls welcome the Denver Pioneers beginning at 11 a.m. MT at the UW Tennis Complex.
#28 Auburn 4, Wyoming 0
1. Pleun Burgmans (UA) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY), 7-5, 6-0
2. Emily Flickinger (UA) vs. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-3, 3-5 DNF
3. Andie Dikosavljevic (UA) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 6-0, 6-4
4. Reka Muller (UA) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 7-5, 6-2
5. Christa Gecheva (WY) vs. Paula de Man (UA), DNF
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) vs. Jen Pfeifler (UA), DNF
1. Pleun Burgmans/Emily Flickinger (UA) def. Magdalena Stencel/Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-1
2. Jen Pfeifler/Reka Muller (UA) vs. Alma Espinosa/Christa Gecheva (WY), 5-4 DNF
3. Michala Kucharova/Paula de Man (UA) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova/Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-4