Feb. 3, 2012
LINCOLN, Neb. -
The 75th ranked Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team moved to 2-1 overall on the season with a 6-1 victory over the Eastern Michigan Eagles, on Friday afternoon.
"We didn't play our best tennis today, but we found a way to win," said assistant coach Dean Clower. "It was a good match for us to get ready to play the 29th ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers tomorrow."
The Cowgirls got going early as they swept all three matches in doubles action. The 44th ranked team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova defeated Miriam Westerin and Nino Mebuke, 8-4. At the number two position, Alexandra Kovacs and Jessica Parizher came away with an 8-5 victory over Mariya Toncheva and Georgia de'Lisle-Tarr, while Christa Gecheva and Sasa Nemcova wrapped things up by beating Daphne Friedrichs and Marcela Rivero, 8-5.
In singles play, Wyoming took five of the six matches in order to come away with the victory. Popovici won the first set over Nino Mebuke and was up 3-0 before Mebuke retired. Simona Synkova needed three sets, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, to defeat Miriam Westerink. At the number three spot, Nemova defeated Ankita Bhatia, 6-2, 6-4, followed by Kovacs with a straight set win, 6-2, 6-3, against Mariya Toncheva. Jessica Parizher won her third match in a row with a 4-6, 6-2, 10-3 victory against Marcela Rivero. The final Cowgirl in action was Silviya Zhelyazkova who fell to Daphne Friedrichs, 6-4, 4-6, 10-4.
Wyoming will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 4, as they face the 29th ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers. The match is set for 10:00 a.m. MT.
#75 Wyoming 6, Eastern Michigan 1
1. Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Nino Mebuke (EMU), 6-4, 3-0 (ret.)
2. Simona Synkova (WYO) def. Miriam Westerink (EMU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) def. Ankita Bhatia (EMU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) 6-4, 4-6, 10-4
6. Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Marcela Rivero (EMU), 4-6, 6-2, 10-3
1. Veronica Popovici/Simona Synkova (WYO) def. Miriam Westerink/Nino Mebuke (EMU), 8-4
2. Alexandra Kovacs/Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Mariya Toncheva/Georgia de'Lisle-Tarr (EMU), 8-5
3. Christa Gecheva/Sasa Nemcova (WYO) def. Daphne Friedrichs/Marcela Rivero (EMU), 8-5