LINCOLN, Neb. -
The 71st ranked Wyoming tennis team (4-2 overall) opened up a two-day road swing with a 7-0 victory over the UMKC Kangaroos on Saturday afternoon in Lincoln.
“This was a good start to the weekend,” UW head coach Dean Clower said. “The players were ready to go after a week off from competition. I like the way we are playing and getting better at the details. We will go over a few minor things tonight and be ready for a tough match tomorrow.”
The Cowgirls started off strong by sweeping all three doubles matches to go ahead 1-0. The number one team of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva defeated Marina Albert and Melinda Johnson, 6-2, while Dorottya Jonas and Sanne Hoekstra clinched the point with 6-2 win over Linda Ammar Mouhoub and Allie Schulte.
That momentum carried over to singles as Wyoming dominated play. Tessa van Der Ploeg defeated Schulte, 6-1, 6-0, followed by Tokareva with a 6-3, 6-1 victory against Albert. At the number one position, Stencel lost only two games in her 6-1, 6-1 win over Johnson. The final two Cowgirls in action were Elisa Koonik and Jonas. Koonik won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, against Ammar Mouhoub while Jonas disposed of Mariam Kurasbediani, 6-2, 6-4.
Wyoming will return to action on tomorrow morning against the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The match is set to begin at 10:30 a.m. at the Sid and Hazel Dillion Tennis Center.
#71 Wyoming Cowgirls 7, UMKC 0
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Melinda Johnson (UMKC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Marina Albert (UMKC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Mariam Kurasbediani (UMKC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Allie Schulte (UMKC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Linda Ammar Mouhoub (UMKC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sanne Hoekstra (WY) def. No player (UMKC), by forfeit
1. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Marina Albert/Melinda Johnson (UMKC) 6-2
2. Dorottya Jonas/Sanne Hoekstra (WY) def. Linda Ammar Mouhoub/Allie Schulte (UMKC) 6-2
3. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY) def. No player/No player (UMKC), by forfeit
Wyoming Cowgirls 4-2; National ranking #71
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,2,1,5,3)