LINCOLN, Neb. -
The 71st ranked Wyoming tennis team (4-3 overall) closed out its road trip with a 4-3 loss against the Nebraska Cornhuskers (6-0 overall) on Sunday morning in Lincoln.
It was a battle in doubles action going down to the final match. The duo of Katerina Matysova and Mackenna Maddox-Herr defeated Dorottya Jonas and Sanne Hoekstra, 6-0. At the number one spot, Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva evened it up with a 6-0 victory over Maggy Lehmicke and Lisa Andersson. The Cornhuskers took the point with the team of Mary Hanna and Vasanti Shinde defeating Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg, 6-4.
Stencel tied up the match to begin singles play by defeating Lehmicke, 6-2, 6-2. Matysova followed with a 6-1, 6-3 win over van Der Ploeg at the number four position. Tokareva earned a two-set win, 6-2, 6-3, against Andersson, while Koonik earned a straight set win, 6-4, 7-5, over Shinde to give the Cowgirls a 3-2 advantage. Unfortunately, Nebraska took the final two matches to win the match. Hanna beat Jonas, 7-5, 6-3 followed by Maddox-Herr with a three-set victory, 7-5, 3-6, 6-1, over Miranda Talbert.
Wyoming will return to action on Saturday against the Drake Bulldogs. The match is set for 3:30 p.m. MT at the UW Tennis Complex.
Nebraska 4 #71 Wyoming 3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB), 6-2, 6-2
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Lisa Andersson (NEB), 6-2, 6-3
3. Mary Hanna (NEB) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 7-5, 6-3
4. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY), 6-1, 6-3
5. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Vasanti Shinde (NEB), 6-4, 7-5
6. Mackenna Maddox-Herr (NEB) def. Miranda Talbert (WY), 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
1. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Maggy Lehmicke/Lisa Andersson (NEB), 6-0
2. Mary Hanna/Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY), 6-4
3. Katerina Matysova/Mackenna Maddox-Herr (NEB) def. Dorottya Jonas/Sanne Hoekstra (WY), 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,2,5,3,6)