Feb. 10, 2006
BOISE, Idaho -
Despite losing the doubles point, the Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team earned a tough 4-3 win over the Idaho Vandals on Friday afternoon in Boise, Idaho.
"I'm very proud of the team and the way they fought back after losing the doubles point," said head coach Krissy Hall. "We look forward to carrying this momentum into the next two matches over the weekend."
In doubles play, the Vandals took two out of the three matches to win the point. UW's number one team of Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski had a tough match as they fell to Patricia Ruman and Mariel Tinnirello, 8-3, while Cowgirls Andrea House and Amy Senko lost a close one, 9-7, to Kareen Konishi and Efrat Leopold. Idaho did not have a third doubles team, so Wyoming's Michelle Brown and Jamie Nelson won by default.
The Cowgirls would have to win four out of six matches in order to make a comeback. It started with Andrea House at the number four spot as she defeated Kareen Konishi, 6-2, 6-2. Amy Senko followed with a two set win 6-3, 6-1, against Kasie King. Sophomore Michelle Brown would win by default as Idaho didn't have a sixth player, and it would be won by Karolina Rowinski against Mariel Tinnirello, 6-3, 6-4, at the number two position. The Vandals earned wins at the number one spot as Patricia Ruman defeated Patricia Chien, 6-7 (5), 7-5, 10-4, and Efrat Leopold beat Jamie Nelson, 6-0, 6-1, at the fourth position.
Wyoming will continue play on Saturday against Eastern Washington at 2:30 p.m. and then wrap up play this weekend against the Boise State, on Sunday afternoon, at 12:30 p.m. Both matches will be played in Boise, Idaho.
Wyoming 4 Idaho 3
1. Patricia Ruman (Idaho) def. Patricia Chien (WY), 6-7 (5), 7-5, 10-4
2. Karolina Rowinski (WY) def. Mariel Tinnirello (Idaho), 6-3, 6-4
3. Efrat Leopold (Idaho) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-0, 6-1
4. Andrea House (WY), def. Kareen Konishi (Idaho), 6-2, 6-2
5. Amy Senko (WY), def. Kasie King (Idaho), 6-3, 6-1
6. Michelle Brown (WY) wins by default (not played)
1. Tinnirello/Ruman (Idaho) def. Chien/Rowinski (WY), 8-3
2. Konishi/Leopold (Idaho), def. House/Senko (WY), 9-7
3. Brown/Nelson (WY), wins by default (not played)