Feb. 10, 2012
LONG BEACH, Calif. -
The 75th ranked Wyoming Tennis team won four of six singles matches to come away with the 4-3 win against the 39th ranked Long Beach State 49ers. The Cowgirls are now 3-2 in dual play. It's the second time this season they've defeated a ranked team.
"The team was the definition of perseverance today," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "I'm very proud of the resilience and fight they've shown."
LBSU won two of three matches to begin the day in doubles action to earn the first point. The team of Rachel Manassee and Laura Bernard defeated Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova, 8-4. They would notch the point with an 8-4 win by Anais Dallara and Klaudia Malenovska over Alexandra Kovacs and Jessica Parizher. The other Cowgirl team in action Christa Gecheva and Sasa Nemcova defeated Sarah Cantlay and Julie Luzar, 8-6.
In singles action, the Cowgirls needed to win four matches to come away with the match. Long Beach State went up 2-0 as Rachel Manassee defeated Simona Synkova, 6-1, 6-1. The first Cowgirl to win a match was Alexandra Kovacs beating Julie Luzar, 7-6 (11-9), 6-4. She was followed by Veronica Popovici with a two set win, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1, over Anais Dallara to even it up at two all. Laura Bernard needed three sets over Sasa Nemcova, 5-7, 6-2, 6-4, giving the 49ers a 3-2 advantage. It would go down to the final two matches of the day to determine a winner. Freshman Silviya Zhelyazkova lost the first set, but came back to win the next two sets, 6-4, 6-4. At the number five position, Jessica Parizher sealed the victory and also needed three sets to defeat Klaudia Malenovska, 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3.
Wyoming will continue play in California by facing UC Irvine, on Saturday, Feb. 11, and Loyola Marymount, on Sunday, Feb. 12.
#75 Wyoming 4, #39 Long Beach State 3
1. Veronica Popovici (WYO) def. Anais Dallara (LBSU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
2. #122 Rachel Manasse (LBSU) def. Simona Synkova (WYO) 6-1, 6-1
3. #117 Laura Bernard (LBSU) def. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
4. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) def. Julie Luzar (LBSU) 7-6 (11-9), 6-4
5. Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3
6. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Rachel Manasse/Laura Bernard (LBSU) def. #44 Veronica Popovici/Simona Synkova (WYO) 8-4
2. Anais Dallara/Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Alexandra Kovacs/Jessica Parizher (WYO) 8-4
3. Christa Gecheva/Sasa Nemcova (WYO) def. Sarah Cantlay/Julie Luzar (LBSU) 8-6
Wyoming 3-2; National ranking #75
Long Beach State 2-1; National ranking #39
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,6,5)