Feb. 11, 2006
BOISE, Idaho -
The University of Wyoming tennis team improved its overall record to 5-0 as they cruised past Eastern Washington 6-1, Saturday afternoon at the Boise State Spring Invitational in Boise, Idaho.
The Cowgirls opened the match by taking two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point. Senior Patricia Chien and junior Karolina Rowinski beat EWU's Sayaka Yoshimoto and Kasey Knox by a score of 8-2 in the number one spot. Junior's Andrea House and Amy Senko also won their doubles match over Amanda Manhovits and Nelly Dvornicka by an 8-3 score. In their Cowgirls only doubles loss, sophomore Michelle Brown and freshman Jamie Nelson loss a heart breaker to Jennifer Jolley and Marie Carroll, 8-7.
The Cowgirls excelled in singles action and won five of six singles matches to secure the win. In number one singles, Chien beat Yoshimoto in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0. At the number two spot, Rowinski beat Knox in a second set tie-breaker to win the match 6-3, 7-5. After losing the first set in number three singles, Nelson rallied to beat Dvornicka 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. House also won her singles match in the number four spot in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 over Rachel Berger. The final Cowgirl win came in the number six match as Brown beat Jolley in three sets by a score of 6-3, 1-6, 6-2. The only singles loss for the Cowgirls came in the number five spot where Senko fell to Manhovits 6-2, 6-2.
The Cowgirl tennis team will put its undefeated record on the line tomorrow afternoon when they play tournament host Boise State in the final match of the invitational. The match is set to begin at 12:30 p.m. at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center.
Wyoming 6 - Eastern Washington 1
1. Patricia Chien (WY) def. Sayaka Yoshimoto (EWU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Karolina Rowinski (WY) def. Kasey Knox (EWU), 6-3, 7-5
3. Jamie Nelson (WY) def. Nelly Dvornicka (EWU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrea House (WY), def. Rachel Berger (EWU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Amanda Manhovits (EWU) def. Amy Senko (WY), 6-2, 6-2
6. Michelle Brown (WY) def. Jennifer Jolley (EWU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
1. Chien/Rowinski (WY) def. Yoshimoto/Knox (EWU), 8-2
2. House/Senko (WY) def. Manhovits/Dvornicka (EWU), 8-3
3. Jolley/Carroll (EWU) def. Brown/Nelson (WY), 8-3