LARAMIE, Wyo. -
It came down to the final two matches of the day as the Cowgirl tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss against the 64th ranked Denver Pioneers on Friday in Laramie. Wyoming is now 2-3 overall this spring season, while the Pioneers move to 2-2 overall.
"Quite honestly, Denver came and took it to us early, which is uncharacteristic of our team," head coach Dean Clower said. "We did bounce back after doubles and gave ourselves plenty of chances and just didn't convert. We have a lot of talent on this team but if we don't get better in some areas we won't take the next step forward."
In doubles action, the Pioneers swept all three matches to win the opening point of the day. Morgan Barnhill and Michelle Garpenlov defeated Silviya Zhelyazkova and Dorottya Jonas, 6-1, while Julia O'Loughlin and Maureen Slattery clinched the point with a 6-3 victory over Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva. In the final match of the day, Gracia Mboko and Sonja Radosevic beat Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel, 7-5
At the number two spot, Nastya Tokareva dropped her match, 6-4, 6-2, against Radosevic followed by Stencel losing in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, against Slattery. The Cowgirls earned their first win of the day at the number four position. Parizher defeated Evy Van Genechten, 7-5, 6-2 that was followed up with a win by Jonas, 6-7, 6-1, 5-5 (ret.) against Mboko. At the number five spot, Zhelyazkova fell behind 6-3 in the first set but rebounded with a 6-3 win in the second O'Loughlin. Unfortunately, the final set tipped in the direction of Denver, 6-1. Gecheva gave Wyoming its third point with a three set victory, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, over Charlotte Derbyshire.
The Wyoming tennis team will play its second straight match at home tomorrow against the Metro State Roadrunners. The match is set for 11 a.m. at the UW tennis complex.
#64 Denver 4, Wyoming 3
1. Maureen Slattery (DU) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY), 6-3, 6-2
2. Sonja Radosevic (DU) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY), 6-4, 6-2
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Gracia Mboko (DU), 6-7, 6-1, 5-5 (ret.)
4. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Evy Van Genechten (DU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Julia O'Loughlin (DU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Charlotte Derbyshire (DU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 6
1. Mboko/Radosevic (DU) def. Parizher/Stencel (WY), 7-5
2. O'Loughlin/Slattery (DU) def. Alma Espinosa/Gecheva (WY), 6-3
3. Morgan Barnhill/Michelle Garpenlov (DU) def. Zhelyazkova/Jonas (WY), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1