LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming women's tennis team rebounded with a 7-0 sweep of the Metro State Roadrunners on Saturday morning in Laramie. The Cowgirls are now 3-3 overall while the Roadrunners drop to 1-4 overall.
"I thought we did a really good job rebounding after a tough battle yesterday," head coach Dean Clower said. "Thanks to all the fans who showed and supported us this weekend. We had a lot of bright spots, but need to keep working on a few things."
In doubles action, the Cowgirls started off the day strong by winning all three matches and only losing to games. Christa Gecheva and Nastya Tokareva got things going with a 6-0 victory over Megan Bell and Kaitlyn Miller. The number one team of Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova won the point with a 6-0 win against Haleigh Chobanian and Courtney Wright. Cecilia Mercier and Jessica Parizher also defeated their opponents Ana-Jelena Vujosevic and Courtney Wright, 6-2.
Wyoming was solid on the singles side as it swept all six matches. Tokareva gave the Cowgirls their second point of the day with a two-set win, 6-0, 6-0, followed by Stencel over Wright, 6-1, 6-0. At the number four position, Zhelyazkova defeated Chobanian, 6-0, 6-0, as did Jonas against Vujosevic. In the final matches of the day, Espinosa won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, followed by Mercier over Bell, 6-2, 6-1.
The Wyoming tennis team is back in action on Friday against the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The match is set for 3 p.m. MT in Lincoln.
Wyoming 7, Metro State 0
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Courtney Wright (MSU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Kasey Love (MSU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Ana-Jelena Vujosevic (MSU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Haleigh Chobanian (MSU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Cecilia Mercier (WY) def. Megan Bell (MSU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Kaitlyn Miller (MSU), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5
1. Jonas/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Chobanian/Love (MSU), 6-0
2. Mercier/Parizher (WY) def. Vujosevic/Wright (MSU), 6-2
3. Christa Gecheva/Tokareva (WY) def. Bell/Miller (MSU), 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2