LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team (6-3 overall) battled back after losing the doubles point to sweep all six singles matches in its 6-1 victory over the Northern Colorado Bears (2-3 overall) on Sunday afternoon.
“Definitely didn’t start off the match like we normally do in doubles play with the energy,” UW head coach Dean Clower said. “The players turned it around in singles and I’m pleased with that. It was a totally different outcome than doubles. We will work on some things and get prepared to play a tough Denver team next week.”
In doubles action, Northern Colorado took the early 1-0 lead. The duo of Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg fell to Courtney Schulte and Hilary Walters-West, 6-3, while the 40th ranked team of Beth Coton and Remi Immler defeated Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva, 6-2, to win the point. At the number three spot, Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert beat Marissa Baca and Anna Battersby, 7-6.
Wyoming rallied back in singles play by sweeping all six matches. Stencel won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, over Lea Krajcovicova followed by Jonas at the number two position with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Coton. Tokareva gave the Cowgirls their third point of the day with her 6-4, 6-2 victory over Walters-West while UW clinched the point with Koonik’s straight set win, 6-3, 6-2, over Baca. In the final two matches of the day, Talbert defeated Immler, 6-1, 6-2 followed by van Der Ploeg, 6-2, 6-4, over Battersby.
Wyoming will return to the court next Saturday against the 56th ranked Denver Pioneers. The match is set for 4 p.m. MT in Denver.
Wyoming 6, Northern Colorado 1
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. KRAJCOVICOVA, Lea (NC-W) 6-1, 6-2
2. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. COTON, Beth (NC-W) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. WALTERS-WEST, Hilary (NC-W) 6-4, 6-2
4. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. BACA, Marissa (NC-W) 6-3, 6-2
5. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. BATTERSBY, Anna (NC-W) 6-2, 6-4
6. Miranda Talbert (WY) def. IMMLER, Remi (NC-W) 6-1, 6-2
1. COTON, Beth/IMMLER, Remi (NC-W) def. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-2
2. SCHULTE, Courtney/WALTERS-WEST, Hilary (NC-W) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY) 6-3
3. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) def. BACA, Marissa/BATTERSBY, Anna (NC-W) 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)