Feb. 15, 2003
Cheyenne, Wyo. - The University of Wyoming tennis team picked up its first dual win of the season over the University of Northern Colorado, 6-1, Saturday afternoon in Cheyenne.
The Cowgirls lost just one singles match on the day and won all three doubles matches to claim the victory. With the win the Cowgirls dual record moves to 1-2-0, while the Bears fall to 3-2-0 on the season.
The Cowgirls were able to pick up the doubles point by winning all three matches. In No. 1 doubles, Yuliani Santi and Jennifer Hancock defeated Jan Ikeda and Jodie Sato, 8-5. In No. 2, Kati Gyulai and Patricia Chien defeated Shannon Lauridson and Amber Alley, 8-1. The No. 3 doubles match also went in favor of the Cowgirls where Gwen Moser and Megan Williams defeated Julie McPherson and Taneisha Pechek by the score of 8-3.
In singles play, the Cowgirls won five of six matches. In No. 2 singles Patricia Chien beat Jodie Sato, 6-2, 2-6, 6-0. The No.3 singles match went to Kati Gyulai as she defeated Shannon Lauridson, 6-1, 6-2. In No. 4 play Jennifer Hancock defeated Amber Alley, 6-2, 6-2. The No.5 victory went to Megan Williams as she beat Julie McPherson, 4-6, 6-3, 10-6. The final Cowgirl victory came in the No. 6 spot where Gwen Moser defeated Taneisha Pechek, 6-1, 6-3. The lone Cowgirl loss came in the No. 1 singles spot where Jan Ikeda beat Yuliani Santi, 6-4, 6-7, 0-6.
"Overall it was definitely a nice match to win," commented UW head coach Pam Wildt. "After being off for two weeks, it was nice to get our feet back under us in such a positive way."
The Cowgirls will continue play tomorrow as they will face the Creighton Blue Jays. The contest will be held, once again, in Cheyenne at the Frontier Tennis Center and is scheduled to begin at 9:00 am.
1. Jan Ikeda (UNC) def. Yuliani Santi (UW), 6-4, 6-7, 0-6.
2. Patricia Chien (UW) def. Jodie Sato (UNC), 6-2, 2-6, 6-0.
3. Kati Gyulai (UW) def. Shannon Lauridson (UNC), 6-1, 6-2.
4. Jennifer Hancock (UW) def. Amber Alley (UNC), 6-2, 6-2.
5. Megan Williams (UW) def. Julie McPherson (UNC), 4-6, 6-3, 10-6.
6. Gwen Moser (UW) def. Taneisha Pechek (UNC), 6-1, 6-3.
1. Santi/ Hancock (UW) defeated Ikeda/ Sato (UNC), 8-5.
2. Gyulai/ Chien (UW) def. Lauridson/ Alley (UNC), 8-1.
3. Moser/ Williams (UW) def. McPherson/ Pechek (UNC), 8-3.