Feb. 17, 2012
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah -
The Wyoming Tennis team fell to 4-4 overall on the season as they struggled with a 7-0 loss against the 42nd ranked Utah Utes on Friday afternoon in Salt Lake City. The Cowgirls are ranked 63rd in the latest ITA national rankings which came out on Thursday, Feb. 16.
"You have to give credit to Utah today. They out played us in this match," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "We will need to have a short memory because we play a good Idaho team on Sunday at home."
The Utes won the first doubles match of the day as Anastasia Putilina and Callie Craig defeated the 58th ranked team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici, 8-3. Wyoming evened it up at one match a piece as Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova earned an 8-6 win against Sarah Pham and Lucia Kovarcikova. It came down to the number three team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova who came up short 9-7 against Danielle Flores and Natasha Smith.
It was an uphill battle in singles action as Utah dominated play winning all six matches. Putilina, who is ranked 69th in the ITA rankings won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, over Popovici. The Utes earned their third point of the day with Smith winning in two sets, 6-1, 6-3, over Zhelyazkova. At the number four position, Nemcova lost to Danielle Flores, 6-2, 6-4, while Synkova fell to Pham, 6-3, 6-4. The other two players in action were Alexandra Kovacs who lost to Callie Craig, 7-5, 6-4, and Jessica Parizher coming up short to Kovarcikova, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1).
Wyoming will be at home for the first time this season on Sunday, February 19, as they host the Idaho Vandals. The match is set for 10:00 a.m. at the UW Indoor Tennis Courts.
#42 Utah 7, #63 Wyoming 0
1. #69 Anastasia Putilina (UTAH) def. Veronica Popovici (WYO) 6-2, 6-1
2. #104 Sarah Pham (UTAH) def. Simona Synkova (WYO) 6-3, 6-4
3. Callie Craig (UTAH) def. Alexandra Kovacs (WYO) 7-5, 6-4
4. Danielle Flores (UTAH) def. Sasa Nemcova (WYO) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lucia Kovarcikova (UTAH) def. Jessica Parizher (WYO) 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Natasha Smith (UTAH) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) 6-1, 6-3
1. Anastasia Putilina/Callie Craig (UTAH) def. #58 Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (WYO) 8-3
2. Alexandra Kovacs/Sasa Nemcova (WYO) def. Sarah Pham/Lucia Kovarcikova (UTAH) 8-6
3. Danielle Flores/Natasha Smith (UTAH) def. Jessica Parizher/Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) 9-7