LINCOLN, Neb. -
The Wyoming women's tennis team opened up the weekend with a 6-1 loss against the Nebraska Cornhuskers on Friday night. The Cowgirls are now 3-4 overall while the Cornhuskers remain undefeated 7-0.
"We lost a tough one today," head coach Dean Clower said. "We played much better in doubles just didn't convert on big opportunities. Maggie has been working hard this past week to correct a few things and it showed today. We need to rebound and be ready for a tough Illinois State team tomorrow."
In doubles action, it was a battle between the two teams. Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova defeated Katerina Matysova and Mackenna Maddox, 6-3. Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel fell short 7-6 against Izabella Zgierska and Mary Hanna, while Nebraska won the point as Maggy Lehmicke and Lisa Andersson beat Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva.
The Cowgirls earned their first point of the day as Stencel won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, over Lehmicke. Nebraska went back up 3-1 after Zgierska defeated Nastya Tokareva, 6-3, 7-6, and Spurti Shivalingaiah beat Zhelyazkova, 6-4, 6-4. The Cornhuskers clinched the match as Jonas fell to Hanna in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
In the other two singles matches, Parizher lost to Andersson, 6-3, 7-5, and Gecheva fell, 6-2, 4-6, 10-8 against Matysova.
The Cowgirls will close out the weekend tomorrow against the Illinois State Redbirds. The match is set to begin at 10 a.m. MT in Lincoln.
Nebraska 6, Wyoming 1
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB), 6-4, 6-3
2. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY), 6-3, 7-6 (6)
3. Mary Hanna (NEB) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Spurti Shivalingaigh (NEB) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 6-4, 6-4
5. Lisa Andersson (NEB) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-3, 7-5
6. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Christa Gecheva (WY), 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
1. Zgierska/Hanna (NEB) def. Parizher/Stencel (WY), 7-6
2. Lehmicke/Andersson (NEB) def. Alma Espinosa/Gecheva (WY), 6-3
3. Jonas/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Matysova/Mackenna Maddox (NEB), 6-3