DENVER, Colo. -
The Wyoming tennis team (6-4 overall) dropped its match on Saturday afternoon 5-2 against the 63rd-ranked Denver Pioneers (9-2 overall).
In doubles action, Denver took the early 1-0 lead. The duo of Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert opened up with a 6-1 victory over Charlotte Derbyshire and Evy Van Genechten. At the number one spot, Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva fell to Julia O’Loughlin and Maureen Slattery, 6-3, while the Pioneers earned the point with a Morgan Barnhill and Bianca Mok win over Tessa van Der Ploeg and Elisa Koonik, 6-3.
Tokareva got the Cowgirls on the board with her 6-4, 6-2 victory over Slattery. Denver would win the next three in a row to clinch the match. Mok defeated Jonas, 6-2, 6-3, followed by Derbyshire over Talbert, 7-5, 6-0. At the number five spot, Barnhill gave the Pioneers the win with a straight set win, 7-6, 6-1, against van Der Ploeg.
Wyoming will return to the court next Friday against the New Mexico State Aggies in Las Cruces. The Cowgirls will also take on the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks on Saturday and the UTEP Miners on Sunday.
#63 Denver 5, Wyoming 2
1. Julia O’Loughlin (DEN) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY), 7-6 (6), 7-6 (6)
2. Bianca Mok (DEN) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-2, 6-3
3. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Maureen Slattery (DEN), 6-4, 6-2
4. Elisa Koonik (WY) def. Evy Van Genechten (DEN), 7-6 (7), 6-1
5. Morgan Barnhill (DEN) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY), 7-6 (3), 6-1
6. Charlotte Derbyshire (DEN) def. Miranda Talbert (WY), 7-5, 6-0
1. Julia O’Loughlin/Maureen Slattery (DEN) def. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-3
2. Morgan Barnhill/Bianca Mok (DEN) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg/Elisa Koonik (WY) 6-3
3. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) def. Charlotte Derbyshire/Evy Van Genechten (DEN), 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,6,5,4,1)