LINCOLN, Neb. -
The Wyoming women's tennis bounced back with a 7-0 victory over the Illinois State Redbirds on Saturday morning in Lincoln. The Cowgirls pull even on the season with a 4-4 mark.
"It was good to see the team rebound after a tough loss yesterday," head coach Dean Clower said. "I thought we played pretty good doubles this morning and kept the energy going in singles. We have a lot to work on over the next several weeks in order to reach our goals for the year."
Wyoming jumped out early in the match by winning all three doubles matches. The number one team of Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel defeated Kadi Ilves and Donna Haycock, 6-1, while seniors Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva beat Catherine Shulman and Chanel Scudiero, 6-3. The final team Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova earned a 6-1 victory over Valerija Gercar and Natalia Parchowska.
The Cowgirls continued their strong play as they swept all six singles matches. Stencel earned her second straight win of the weekend, 6-2, 6-4, over Ilves followed by Nastya Tokareva defeating her opponent, Haycock, 6-2, 6-1. At the number three position, Jonas beat Shulman, 6-4, 6-0 followed by Zhelyazkova with a straight set win, 6-3, 6-1. In the final matches of the day, Parizher beat Scudiero, 6-3, 6-0, while Gecheva came out on top, 6-2, 6-1, over Parchowska.
Wyoming will return to action on Saturday, March 7 against the Iowa State Cyclones. The match is set for 9 a.m. MT in Ames.
Wyoming 7, Illinois State 0
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Kadi Ilves (ISU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Donna Haycock (ISU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Catherine Shulman (ISU), 6-4, 6-0
4. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Valerija Gercar (ISU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Chanel Scudiero (ISU), 6-3, 6-0
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Natalia Parchowska (ISU), 6-2, 6-1
1. Parizher/Stencel (WY) def. Ilves/Haycock (ISU), 6-1
2. Alma Espinosa/Gecheva (WY) def. Shulman/Scudiero (ISU), 6-3
3. Jonas/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Gercar/Parchowksa (ISU), 6-1