Feb. 22, 2013
LINCOLN, Neb. -
After a three-week layoff, the 64th ranked Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team would dominate in their 7-0 win over the Creighton BlueJays, on Friday morning, in Lincoln. They are now 3-2 overall this spring, while Creighton falls to 1-5 overall.
"It was good to get out and play again," said head coach Dean Clower. "The team has been itching to get out and compete again. The players were all focused and it showed in their play. We gave Sasa and Alexandra some rest and Silviya, Christa and Alma didn't miss a beat. We have a quick turnaround as we play a very good Arkansas Little Rock team tomorrow."
Wyoming was solid out of the gates as they took the early lead by winning the doubles point. Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova had an easy time with an 8-1 win over Analese Snyder and Anna Kirshenbaum, while the team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova defeated their opponents Jennie Hartjes and Sam Anderson. The final team of Christa Gecheva and Alma Espinosa won by the same score, 8-4, over Amanda Noonan and Liz Vermillion.
It was all Cowgirls in singles play as they swept all six to clinch the win. Popovici was the only one that needed three sets as she defeated Hartjes, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2. Synkova earned a straight set win, 6-3, 6-4, over Snyder as did Parizher over Kirshenbaum, 6-3, 6-1. At the fourth spot, sophomore Gecheva won 6-4, 6-2 against Noonan while Zhelyazkova lost just two games on her way to a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Anderson. The last Cowgirl in action was Alma Espinosa who also won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, over Vermillion.
The Cowgirls will face the Arkansas Little Rock Trojans, Saturday, Feb. 23, in Lincoln. The match is set for 10:00 a.m. MT.
#64 Wyoming 7, Creighton 0
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Jennie Hartjes (CREI), 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Simona Synkova (WY) def. Analese Snyder (CREI), 6-3, 6-4
3. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Anna Kirshenbaum (CREI), 6-3, 6-1
4. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Amanda Noonan (CREI), 6-4, 6-2
5. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Sam Anderson (CREI), 6-2, 6-0
6. Alma Espinosa (WY) def. Liz Vermillion (CREI), 6-2, 6-4
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Snyder/Kirshenbaum (CREI), 8-1
2. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Hartjes/Anderson (CREI), 8-4
3. Gecheva/Espinosa (WY) def. Noonan/Vermillion (CREI), 8-4