Feb. 23, 2013
LINCOLN, Neb. -
The Wyoming tennis team won their second match in as many days with a 5-2 win over the Arkansas Little Rock Trojans, on Saturday morning. They are now 4-2 overall this spring.
"We got out on top early in this match and didn't give them an opportunity to play," said head coach Dean Clower. "We were pleased with their energy and aggressive play in doubles and that carried over in singles. We continue to improve in all aspects of our game and the results are showing. We will have a tall task against Nebraska but the players will be ready."
It was another strong day in doubles play for the Cowgirls as they took all three matches to win the doubles point. The number one team of Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova defeated Yana Kakovkina and Viktoriya Plyuta, 8-4, followed by Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova with their win over Michaela McShane and Veronique Luksich, 8-1. The team of Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova closed things out with an 8-4 victory against Kamilla Galieva and Dane Vorster.
Wyoming would win four of the six singles matches to clinch the match. At the top spot, Popovici won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0, over Luksich followed by Kovacs with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Galieva. Parizher lost just one game on her way to a 6-0, 6-1 over Dane Vorster while Christa Gecheva wrapped up the match with a 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Michaela McShane.
The Cowgirls will close out the weekend tomorrow against the 15th ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers. The match is set for 9:00 a.m. MT
#64 Wyoming 5, Arkansas Little Rock 2
1. Veronica Popovici (WY) def. Veronique Luksich (UALR), 6-4, 6-0
2 Yana Kakovkina (UALR) def. Simona Synkova (WY), 6-4, 6-4
3. Alexandra Kovacs (WY) def. Kamilla Galieva (UALR), 6-1, 6-3
4. Viktoriya Plyuta (UALR) def. Sasa Nemcova (WY), 7-6 (9), 6-3 (10-6)
5. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Dane Vorster (UALR), 6-0, 6-1
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Michaela McShane (UALR), 6-1, 6-4
1. Popovici/Synkova (WY) def. Kakovkina/Plyuta (UALR), 8-4
2. Nemcova/Kovacs (WY) def. McShane/Luksich (UALR), 8-1
3. Parizher/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Vorster/Galieva (UALR), 8-4