Feb. 24, 2006
LAS CRUCES, N.M. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team suffered only their second loss of the season with a 6-1 defeat at the hands of the New Mexico State Aggies, on Friday afternoon, in Las Cruces. The Cowgirls are now 5-2 overall on the spring season.
"I think we learned a lot from today's match," said head coach Krissy Hall. "I hope that we can carry those lessons over to the remaining matches this weekend against UTEP and Arkansas State."
In doubles play, the Aggies took all three matches to win the point. The UW number one team of Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski had a tough match as they fell to Isabelle Mignot and Edine van Beusekom, 8-1, while Cowgirls Andrea House and Amy Senko lost 8-2 to Celine DuFosse and Nicole Fintell. New Mexico State wrapped it up with the team of Anne Fagegaltier and Violaine Rollet defeating Wyoming's Michelle Brown and Jamie Nelson, 8-3.
The Aggies would win five out of the six singles matches. The only Cowgirl to win a match would be Amy Senko as she defeated Celine DuFosse, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4. Senior Patricia Chien fell to Isabelle Mignot, 7-5, 6-1, at the number one position, while Karolina Rowinski had a two set loss, 6-3, 6-1, against Edine van Beusekom. At the number three spot, Nicole Fintell defeated Jamie Nelson, 6-1, 6-4, while Andrea House and Michelle Brown both fell against their opponents.
Wyoming will resume play on Saturday, Feb. 25, as they take on the UTEP Lady Miners in El Paso, Texas.
New Mexico State 6 Wyoming 1
1. Isabelle Mignot (NMSU) def. Patricia Chien (WY), 7-5, 6-1
2. Edine van Beusekom (NMSU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WY), 6-3, 6-1
3. Nicole Fintell (NMSU) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-1, 6-4
4. Anne Fagegaltier (NMSU) def. Andrea House (WY), 6-0, 6-2
5. Amy Senko (WY) def. Celine DuFosse (NMSU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Paulina Zuniga (NMSU) def. Michelle Brown (WY), 6-4, 6-0
1. Mignot/van Beusekom (NMSU) def. Chien/Rowinski, (WY), 8-1
2. DuFosse/Fintell (NMSU) def. House/Senko (WY), 8-2
3. Fagegaltier/Rollett (NMSU) def. Brown/Nelson (WY), 8-3