Feb. 24, 2008
BOISE, Idaho -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team (6-4 overall) closed out their weekend with a 5-2 victory against the Idaho Vandals, on Sunday morning in Boise.
"I was very pleased to come away with this victory," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "It was nice to come back after losing the doubles point to win five out of six singles matches. Overall, I was happy with the weekend and now we look forward to hosting Gonzaga next weekend."
In doubles play, the Vandals would win two out of three matches to earn the point. At the number one spot, the UW team of Rebecca Berger and Corina Lazar defeated their opponents Silvia Irimescu and Laura Leoni, 8-4. Wyoming's Michelle Brown and Carly Van Hollen fell, 8-5 against Yvette Ly and Alexandra Ulesanu, as did the Cowgirl team of Brittany DeFelice and Jamie Nelson, 8-4, to Natalie Kirch and Barbara Maciocha.
In singles play, Wyoming came back strong by winning five of the six matches to clinch the victory. Lazar earned a two set win, 6-3, 6-1, over Irimescu, while Berger defeated Ly, 7-5, 6-2. Van Hollen also had a nice win in two sets, 7-5, 6-4, over Ulesanu. At the number five position, Sarah Summerfield defeated Jana Siwa, 6-3, 6-3, as did DeFelice over Kirch, 6-3, 6-3. Brown fell at the fourth position, 6-3, 6-2, against Maciocha.
Wyoming will continue play at home next weekend as they host the Gonzaga Bulldogs, on Sunday, March 2. The match time is scheduled for 9:00 a.m. at the UW Tennis Courts.
1. Corina Lazar (WYO) def. Silvia Irimescu (Idaho) 6-3, 6-1
2. Rebecca Berger (WYO) def. Yvette Ly (Idaho) 7-5, 6-2
3. Carly Van Hollen (WYO) def. Alexandra Ulesanu (Idaho) 7-5, 6-4
4. Barbara Maciocha (Idaho) def. Michelle Brown (WYO) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sarah Summerfield (WYO) def. Jana Siwa (Idaho) 6-3, 6-3
6. Brittany DeFelice (WYO) def. Natalie Kirch (Idaho) 6-3, 6-3
1. Rebecca Berger/Corina Lazar (WYO) def. Irimescu/Leoni (Idaho) 8-4
2. Ly/Ulesanu (Idaho) def. Michelle Brown/Carly Van Hollen (WYO) 8-5
3. Kirch/Maciocha (Idaho) def. Brittany DeFelice/Jamie Nelson (WYO) 8-4