Feb. 25, 2006
EL PASO, Texas -
The University of Wyoming women's tennis team defeated UTEP 4-3 on Saturday in El Paso, Texas. The victory moved the Cowgirls' overall record to 6-2 on the season.
In doubles play, Wyoming won two of three matches and the team point. The number one team of Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski had a tough match against Daneille King and Megan Pritchard as they lost 8-3. Wyoming won the final two matches in doubles play as Andrea House and Amy Senko defeated Terri Wilkerson and Sandra Spirta 8-4. The number three doubles match had Michelle Brown and Jamie Nelson beating Amber Brightly and Vicki Michaud 8-2.
Wyoming won three out of six singles matches on the day. At number one singles Patricia Chien lost a tough match to Teri Wilkerson 6-3, 6-0. Junior Karolina Rowinski defeated Megan Pritchard 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, while Andrea House won her match against Sandra Spirta, 6-2, 6-4. The deciding point came down Michelle Brown at the number six spot. Brown was able to defeat Vicki Michaud 6-2, 6-7, 6-1 to seal the Cowgirl victory. Jamie Nelson was defeated by Kat Palider 6-1, 6-1 and Amy Senko lost to Daneille King 7-5, 2-6, 6-2.
"I am extremely happy with the way we are playing right now," said UW head coach Krissy Hall. "I feel that we are peaking at the right time and we can use this win to bring momentum into tomorrow's match against Arkansas State."
The Cowgirls will resume play against Arkansas State tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. in El Paso, Texas.
Wyoming 4, UTEP 3
1. Danielle King-Megan Pritchard (UTEP) d. Patricia Chien-Karolina Rowinski (UW) 8-2
2. Andrea House-Amy Senko (UW) d. Sandra Spirta-Teri Wilkerson (UTEP) 8-4
3. Michelle Brown-Jamie Nelson (UW) d. Amber Brightly-Vicky Michaud (UTEP) 8-2
1. Teri Wilkerson (UTEP) d. Patricia Chien (UW) 6-3, 6-0
2. Karolina Rowinski (UW) d. Megan Pritchard (UTEP) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Katherine Palider (UTEP) d. Jamie Nelson (UW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrea House (UW) d. Sandra Spirta (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
5. Danielle King (UTEP) d. Amy Senko (UW) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
6. Michelle Brown (UW) d. Vicky Michaud (UTEP) 6-2, 6-7 (7-5), 6-1