Feb. 26, 2006
EL PASO, Texas -
The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team had a tough day as they lost a disappointing 4-3 match against the Arkansas State Indians on Sunday morning in El Paso, Texas. The Cowgirls are now 6-3 overall this spring.
"I was disappointed with the results of this match," said Cowgirl head coach Krissy Hall. "I thought we had several chances to win, but didn't take advantage of those opportunities. We need to learn from this and start preparing for our first conference match next weekend."
In doubles play, the Indians won two out of three matches to win the point. The Wyoming number two team of Andrea House and Amy Senko defeated the team of Melissa Silva and Renee Branker, 8-5. Marina Engelbrecht and Paula Chelminska earned an 8-4 win over UW's Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski, while the Indians closed it out with Maria Oprea and Zeljka Minic earning a tough 9-8 (1) win over Michelle Brown and Jamie Nelson.
It would come down to the number five singles position to see who would win the match. At number two singles, Wyoming's Rowinski won in two sets, 6-4, 6-4, over Chelminska. Other singles wins for the Cowgirls were Nelson over Opera, 7-6, 6-4, as well as House over Zeljka, 6-3, 0-6, 6-3. The Indians would win at the number one and six spots to force the fifth position to be the match of the day. Karen Saravia would win the first set 6-2, but UW's Senko came back to take the second 7-5. Unfortunately in the end Saravia earned the win with a 7-6 third set, which gave the Indians a 4-3 win.
Wyoming will play their first conference match of the season on Saturday morning against the Air Force Academy beginning at 9:00 a.m. in Colorado Springs.
Arkansas State 4 Wyoming 3
1. Marina Engelbrecht (ASU) def. Patricia Chien (UW) 6-0, 6-4
2. Karolina Rowinski (UW) def. Paula Chelminska (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jamie Nelson (UW) def. Maria Oprea (ASU) 7-6, 6-4
4. Andrea House (UW) def. Zeljka Minic (ASU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
5. Karen Saravia (ASU) def. Amy Senko (UW) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (0)
6. Renee Brander (ASU) def. Michelle Brown (UW) 0-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Engelbrecht-Chelminska (ASU) def. Chien-Rowinski (UW), 8-4
2. House-Senko (UW) def. Silva-Branker (ASU), 8-5
3. Oprea-Minic (ASU) def. Brown-Nelson (UW), 9-8 (1)