LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team (7-4 overall) battled and earned a 4-3 victory over the New Mexico State Aggies (2-5 overall) on Friday afternoon.
“We didn’t play perfect tennis but we definitely played hard,” UW head coach Dean Clower said. “Dorottya stepped up big time beating a very talented player and showed the younger players what it means to play Cowgirl tough. We have a quick turnaround and play a very talented Northern Arizona team tomorrow.”
In doubles play, Wyoming took the early 1-0 lead. The pair of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva defeated Erika Castillo Lopez and Gabrielle Joyce, 6-1. At the number three spot, Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert won the point with a 6-4 win over Lindsay Harlas and Chole Jolliff.
Tokareva put the Cowgirls up 2-0 with a two set win 6-1, 6-2 over Castillo Lopez. The Aggies took a 3-2 advantage with three straight wins. Rimpledeep Kaur defeated Stencel, 6-1, 6-3, followed by Jolliff with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Elisa Koonik. At the number six spot Mia Brandt beat Talbert, 7-5, 7-5. Tessa van Der Ploeg evened it up with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Harlas. Jonas lost in the first set, 4-6, but came back and won the next two, 7-5, 6-1, against Ashyarya Shrivastav to clinch the match.
Wyoming will return to the court tomorrow against the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks at 10 a.m. MT followed by a 10 a.m. MT match with the UTEP Miners on Sunday.
Wyoming 4, NMSU 3
1. Rimpledeep Kaur (NMSU) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY) 6-1, 6-3
2. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Ashvarya Shrivastav (NMSU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Erika Castillo Lopez (NMSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Chloe Jolliff (NMSU) def. Elisa Koonik (WY) 6-2, 6-4
5. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Lindsay Harlas (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Mia Brandt (NMSU) def. Miranda Talbert (WY) 7-5, 7-5
1. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Erika Castillo Lopez/Gabrielle Joyce (NMSU) 6-1
2. Rimpledeep Kaur/Ashvarya Shrivastav (NMSU) def. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 6-4
3. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) def. Lindsay Harlas/Chloe Jolliff (NMSU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,4,6,5,2)