LAS CRUCES, N.M. -
The Wyoming tennis team (7-5 overall) lost a tough 4-3 match on Saturday morning against the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks.
“We didn’t come out with the fire we needed to win the doubles point,” head coach Dean Clower said. “In singles, we came back and played the right way we just fell short on a couple lines. Hopefully, we learned a valuable lesson this morning and will rebound tomorrow.”
In doubles play, Northern Arizona gained the upper hand taking the 1-0 lead. The duo of Blanka Szavay and Hanneke Lodewijks defeated Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva, 6-2. The Lumberjacks clinched the point with a 6-4 win by Marta Lewandowska and Jordan Denesik over Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg. The number two team of Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert defeated Emelia Box and Hailey Rochin, 6-4.
The Cowgirls got on the board with a van Der Ploeg win, 6-3, 7-6, over Denesik. Jonas gave UW a 2-1 advantage with a 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 victory against Lewandowska. NAU won the next three straight to earn the victory. Szavay defeated Tokareva, 6-1, 2-6, 6-2 followed by Rochin over Koonik, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4. At the number six spot, Eirene Granville beat Talbert, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Wyoming will return to the court tomorrow against the UTEP Miners at 10 a.m. MT.
Northern Arizona 4, Wyoming 3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU), 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
2. Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY), 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Marta Lewandowska (NAU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Elisa Koonik (WY), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU), 6-3, 7-6
6. Eirene Granville (NAU) def. Miranda Talbert (WY), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. Blanka Szavay/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY), 6-2
2. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) def. Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU), 6-4
3. Marta Lewandowska/Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY), 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,3,2,4,6,1)