EL PASO, Texas -
The Wyoming tennis team (7-6 overall) closed out the weekend with a 4-3 loss against the UTEP Miners on Sunday morning.
In doubles play, UTEP gained the upper hand taking the 1-0 lead. The pair of Duda Santos and Vivienne Kulicke defeated Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva, 6-2. The number two team of Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert beat Daphne Visscher and Lois Wagenyoort, 6-1, but the Miners won the point with a 6-2 win by Matilda Tench and Raven Bennett over Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg.
The Cowgirls got on the board with a van Der Ploeg win, 6-1, 6-2, over Tench. The Miners won the next two matches to take a 3-1 advantage. Kulicke defeated Stencel, 6-4, 6-2 followed by Wagenvoort over Jonas, 6-3, 6-2. Tokareva won her match over Santos, 6-4, 6-4 (8-6) while Talbert evened up the score at three all with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Bennett. It came down to the final match between Koonik and Visscher. Each player won a set, but Visscher pulled out the win 6-0, 2-6, 6-3 to seal the victory. In a practice match, Sanne Hoekstra won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, over Bethan Hayward.
Wyoming will be back in action on Friday against the 66th ranked Utah Utes. The match is set for 5 p.m. MT in Salt Lake City.
UTEP 4, Wyoming 3
1. Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY) 6-4, 6-2
2. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Matilda Tench (UTEP) 6-1, 6-2
5. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Elisa Koonik (WY) 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
6. Miranda Talbert (WY) def. Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-3, 5-7 (ret.)
1. Duda Santos/Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) 6-2
2. Dorrottya Jones/Miranda Talbert (WY) def. Daphne Visscher/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-1
3. Matilda Tench/Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,2,3,6,5)