March 1, 2014
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
The Wyoming tennis team opened up the weekend with a solid 7-0 sweep of the Metro State Roadrunners, on Saturday afternoon. The Cowgirls are now 3-2 overall this spring.
"It was a good day for Cowgirl tennis," said head coach Dean Clower. "We definitely came out focused and professional. We have a big match to be get ready for tomorrow against a good UNC team."
Wyoming opened up the match on a solid note by winning all three doubles matches to go up 1-0. The number one team of Jessica Parizher and Veronica Popovici defeated Naomi Holopainen and Taylor Larreau, 8-4. Dorottya Jonas and Alena Vasileva beat Wanda Holopainen and Cristina Oropeza, 8-1, as did Christa Gecheva and Alma Espinosa over Kaitlyn Miller and Whitney Vaswig.
The momentum stayed on the side of the Cowgirls as they swept all six matches. Popovici won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, against Naomi Holopainen as did Parizher against Wanda Holopainen, 6-2, 6-2. In the final four matches, the Cowgirls didn't give up a game. Gecheva defeated Oropeza, 6-0, 6-0, followed by Silviya Zhelyazkova over Larreau. Vasileva also earned a straight set win, 6-0, 6-0, followed by Alma Espinosa, 6-0, 6-0, over Miller.
The Cowgirls will return to action on Saturday, March 1, as they host Metro State. The match is set for 12:00 p.m. at the UW Indoor Tennis Courts.
Wyoming 7 Metro State 0
UW Indoor Tennis Courts
1) Popovici/Parizher (UW) def. Naomi Holopainen/Larreau (Metro State), 8-4
2) Jonas/Vasileva (UW) def. Wanda Holopainen/Oropeza (Metro State), 8-1
3) Gecheva/Espinosa (UW) def. Miller/Vaswig (Metro State), 8-1
1) Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Naomi Holopainen (Metro State), 6-1, 6-1
2) Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Wanda Holopainen (Metro State), 6-2, 6-2
3) Christa Gecheva (UW) def. Cristina Oropeza (Metro State), 6-0, 6-0
4) Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Taylor Larreau (Metro State), 6-0, 6-0
5) Alena Vasileva (UW) def. Whitney Vaswig (Metro State), 6-0, 6-0
6) Alma Espinosa (UW) def. Kaitlyn Miller (Metro State), 6-0, 6-0