March 2, 2009
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The Wyoming Cowgirl Tennis team fell to 3-5 overall with a 6-1 loss against the UNC Greensboro Spartans, on Monday morning, in Colorado Springs.
"We had a slow start in doubles," said UW head coach Kati Gyulai. "UNCG came out firing from the beginning and we struggled to get into the matches. We picked up our intensity in singles but we need to compete better than this."
The Spartans started off quickly by earning the doubles point by taking all three matches. The number one UW team of Sarah Summerfield and Carly Van Hollen fell to Alejandra Guerra and Arielle Von Strolley, 8-2. Cowgirls Rebecca Berger and Jamie Nelson lost 8-5 to the team of Valerie Behr and Lucy Dougherty, as did Wyoming's Carolina Chaix and Kori Nochbaur, 8-5, to Britney Cloer and Jessica Elben.
In singles play, only one Cowgirl managed to earn a victory. Van Hollen earned a straight set victory over Behr, 6-1, 7-6. Summerfield fell in two sets 6-2, 6-2, as did Berger, 7-6, 6-2, against VonStrolley. At the number four position, Cloer won a tough three set match, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4, over Chaix. Nelson lost to Dougherty 6-2, 6-3, while Sarah Templeton closed things out with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Nochbaur.
The Cowgirls will resume play on Saturday, March 7, as they host the Air Force Academy Falcons in their first conference match of the season. The match is set to begin at 9 a.m. at the UW Tennis Courts.
UNC Greensboro 6, Wyoming 1
1. Alejandra Guerra/Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) def. Sarah Summerfield/Carly Van Hollen (WY), 8-2
2. Valerie Behr/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Rebecca Berger/Jamie Nelson (WY), 8-5
3. Jessica Eblen/Britney Cloer (UNCG) def. Carolina Chaix/Kori Nochbaur (WY), 8-5
1. Alejandra Guerra (UNCG) def. Sarah Summerfield (WY), 6-2, 6-2
2. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) def. Rebecca Berger (WY), 7-6, 6-2
3. Carly Van Hollen (WY) def. Valerie Behr (UNCG), 6-1, 7-6
4. Britney Cloer (UNCG) def. Carolina Chaix (WY), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-2, 6-3
6. Sarah Templeton (UNCG) def. Kori Nochbaur (WY), 6-1, 6-2