March 3, 2012
The 62nd ranked Wyoming Tennis team wrapped up their weekend with a solid 5-2 win over the Wichita State Shockers on Saturday afternoon. The Cowgirls are now 7-4 on the season in dual action.
"The team really got after it today," said interim head coach Dean Clower. "These were two solid teams that we came away with victories against this weekend which should help build out our confidence for the rest of the year. We are still improving in doubles play which excites me for the future. I also wanted to thank the fans for coming out and making this a great environment to play in."
The Cowgirls jumped out quickly by winning the first point of the day taking two out of three matches. The number one team of Simona Synkova and Veronica Popovici defeated Veronika Blaskova and Lucia Kovalova, 8-3. Alexandra Kovacs and Sasa Nemcova earned an 8-6 win against Lutifiana Budiharto and Carla Venticinque.
Wyoming continued their solid play over in singles action as well by winning four of six matches. Synkova got things going with a 6-2, 6-4 win against Lucia Kovalova. Veronica Popovici rebounded with a straight set win, 6-4, 7-6 (6) win over Lutfiana Budiharto. At the number two position, Alexandra Kovacs fell 7-5, 6-4 against Delia Damaschin. The Cowgirls would complete the day with wins at the four and five spots. Nemcova defeated Veronika Blaskova, 6-1, 6-2 followed by Parizher over Satjpaorn Mahajaroenkul, 6-4, 6-1. The final Cowgirl to play was Zhelyazkova who lost to Carla Venticinque, 7-6, 6-2.
Wyoming will return to action on Tuesday, March 13 against the Montana State Bobcats in Hawaii.
#62 Wyoming 5, Wichita State 2
1. Simona Synkova/Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Veronika Blaskova/Lucia Kovalova (WSU), 8-3
2. Sasa Nemcova/Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Lutfiana Budiharto/Carla Venticinque (WSU), 8-6
3. Montse Blasco Fernandez/Delia Damaschin (WSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova/Jessica Parizher (UW), 9-7
1. Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU) 6-4, 7-6 (6)
2. Delia Damaschin (WSU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW), 7-5, 6-4
3. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Lucia Kovalova (WSU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Veronika Blaskova (WSU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Jessica Parizher (UW) def. Satjpaorn Mahajaroenkul (WSU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Carla Venticinque (WSU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (UW), 7-6, 6-2