SALT LAKE CITY, Utah -
In its only match of the week, the Wyoming tennis team (7-7 overall) dropped another 4-3 contest against the 59th ranked Utah Utes (9-3 overall) on Friday night.
"I'm proud of the way we came out in doubles," UW head coach Dean Clower. "The team has worked hard to fix a few of the issues and we did that. In singles, we gave ourselves chances and that's all we can ask for."
In doubles play, Wyoming gained the upper hand taking the 1-0 lead. The pair of Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg beat Luisa Da Rosa and Taylor Calton, 6-2, while Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva clinched the point with a 6-4 over Margo Pletcher and Brianna Turley. Dorottya Jonas and Miranda Talbert were tied up with Sarah Richter and Alexia Petrovic, 5-5.
The Utes go on the board with a 6-1, 6-2 victory by Petrovic over Sanne Hoekstra. Wyoming went back ahead 3-2 as Tokareva defeated Richter, 6-3, 6-3 and Stencel won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, over Pletcher. At the number four position, Jena Cheng beat van Der Ploeg, 0-6, 6-1, 6-3 to even it up at three all. It would come down to the final match between Koonik and Calton. Calton won the first set, 7-5, while Koonik followed with a 6-3 win in the second. Unfortunately, Utah took the set 6-3 and the match 4-3.
Wyoming will be back in action on Wednesday, March 16, against the Cal State Fullerton Titans. The match is set for 2:30 p.m. MT in Fullerton.
#59 Utah 4, Wyoming 3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Margo Pletcher (UU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Sarah Richter (UU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Brianna Turley (UU) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-3, 6-3
4. Jena Cheng (UU) def. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY), 0-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Taylor Calton (UU) def. Elisa Koonik (WY), 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
6. Alexia Petrovic (UU) def. Sanne Hoekstra (WY), 6-1, 6-2
1. Magdalena Stencel/Nastya Tokareva (WY) def. Margo Pletcher/Brianna Turley (UU), 6-4
2. Dorottya Jonas/Miranda Talbert (WY) vs. Sarah Richter/Alexia Petrovic (UU), 5-5
3. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van Der Ploeg (WY) def. Luisa Da Rosa/Taylor Calton (UU), 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,2,3,1,4,5)