March 4, 2006
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The University of Wyoming tennis team lost a heartbreaker to the Air Force Falcons 4-3 on Saturday in Colorado Springs.
Wyoming lost the doubles point as their only victory came at the number two spot as Amy Senko and Andrea House beat Meghan Keiser and Lauren Wilson 8-1. In number one doubles the UW team of Patricia Chien and Karolina Rowinski lost to Kat Bushey and Christine Abayan 8-3, while Wyoming's Jamie Nelson and Michelle Brown lost to Erika Shortridge and Kelly Morgan 8-6.
Wyoming won three of six singles matches on the day. In number two singles Karolina Rowinski defeated Christine Abayan in a tough 6-4, 7-6, 7-4 tiebreaker. At number three singles freshman Jamie Nelson beat Lauren Wilson 2-6, 7-6, 6-3 also in a tiebreaker. Junior Amy Senko was perfect on the day as she finished off Erika Shortridge 2-6, 6-3 and won the ten point tiebreaker at number five singles. Other Cowgirls that played in singles matches today were Patricia Chien, Andrea House, and Michelle Brown.
The loss is their second straight and it moved Wyoming's record to 6-4 overall and they are now 0-1 in MWC play. Next the Cowgirls will be traveling to Honolulu, Hawaii as they will play four matches beginning on March 13 against Iowa State.
Air Force 4, Wyoming 3
1. Kat Bushey (AF) def. Patricia Chien, 6-4, 6-1
2. Karolina Rowinski (WYO) def. Christine Abayan, 6-4, 7-6
3. Jamie Nelson (WYO) def. Lauren Wilson, 2-6, 7-6, 6-3
4. Kelly Morgan (AF) def. Andrea House, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Amy Senko (WYO) def. Erika Shortridge, 3-6, 6-3, 5-5 (10-4)
6. Meghan Kiser (AF) def. Michelle Brown, 6-1, 6-4
1. Bushey/Abayan (AF) def. Chien/Rowinski, 8-3
2. House/Senko (WYO) def. Kiser/Wilson, 8-2
3. Shortridge/Morgan (AF) def. Brown/Nelson, 8-6