DES MOINES, Iowa -
The Wyoming women's tennis team needed every match to pull out a 4-3 victory over Big 12 foe Iowa State on Saturday morning. The Cowgirls improve their spring record to 5-4 overall while the Cyclones drop to 3-7 overall.
"This was a big step in the direction we need to go," head coach Dean Clower said. "We played great doubles and extremely hard in singles. It was good to see us pull out this one during singles action especially on a day that we didn't necessarily have our A game but found a way to win. This was a good win over a Big 12 team and if we continue progressing there should be more to come.
Wyoming started off strong in double play by earning the point with victories at the second and third position. Dorottya Jonas and Silviya Zhelyazkova defeated Meghan Cassens and Alejandra Galvis, 6-1, while seniors Alma Espinosa and Christa Gecheva also earned a 6-1 win over Carolina Haughe Anderson and Natalie Phippen. Jessica Parizher and Magdalena Stencel were down in the match 5-2 against Ksenia Pronina and Samantha Budai.
In singles action, the Cowgirls held on to win matches at the number one, five and six spots to claim the victory. Iowa State earned its first point of the day as Galvis defeated Parizher, 6-2, 6-3. Stencel won in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3, over Budai to help Wyoming regain a 2-1 advantage. Cassens tied it back up with a 6-2, 6-1 victory against Jonas and Pronina beat Nastya Tokareva, 6-3, 7-5, to give Iowa State a 3-2 advantage. Zhelyazkova won her match at the number five position in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, over Phippen. It would come down to the final match of the day. Gecheva lost in the first set, 7-6, but battled back to win the next two sets, 6-1, 6-4, to win the match over Haughe Andersen.
Wyoming will return to action on Sunday against the Drake Bulldogs. The match is set for 8 a.m. MT in Des Moines
Wyoming 4, Iowa State 3
1. Magdalena Stencel (WY) def. Samantha Budai (ISU), 7-5, 6-3
2. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY), 6-3, 7-5
3. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Dorottya Jonas (WY), 6-2, 6-1
4. Alejandra Galvis (ISU) def. Jessica Parizher (WY), 6-2, 6-3
5. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Natalie Phippen (ISU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Caroline Haughe Andersen (ISU), 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
1. Parizher/Stencel (WY) def. Pronina/Budai (ISU), 2-5 DNF
2. Jonas/Zhelyazkova (WY) def. Cassens/Galvis (ISU), 6-1
3. Alma Espinosa/Gecheva (WY) def. Anderson Phippen (ISU), 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,1,3,2,5,6)