March 7, 2009
LARAMIE, Wyo. -
In front of a large crowd at the University of Wyoming Tennis Courts, the Cowgirls dominated the court on Saturday with a 5-2 victory against the Air Force Academy Falcons. The Cowgirls are now 4-5 overall and 1-0 in Mountain West Conference play.
"We came out with a mission to get on top early with leads in the doubles and we didn't look back," said UW head coach Kati Gyluai. "This match was very important for us. We planned, prepared and executed well against a solid conference rival."
The Cowgirls earned the doubles point by winning two of three matches. UW's Carly Van Hollen and Sarah Summerfield won a close match against Erlyn Rudico and Katrina Eromin, 8-6. In the number two spot, Cowgirls Rebecca Berger and Jamie Nelson beat Allie Chermel and Christen Monreal, 8-2. Air Force won the match at the number three spot with Wyoming's Carolina Chiax and Kori Nochbaur losing to Sarah Cassman and Christine Abayan, 8-1.
In singles play, Wyoming took four of six matches to notch the victory. The day started with Summerfield beating Abayan 6-2, 6-4. Berger won at the number two spot, 7-5, 6-2 against Monreal. Van Hollen earned a straight set victory, 6-2, 6-0, over Chermel. Nelson was successful in her bid over Eromin, 6-3, 6-4.
The Cowgirls have some time off before they head to Hawaii for four matches during Spring Break. Wyoming will start on Tuesday, Mar. 17 against Washington State at 1 p.m. and Chaminade at 6 p.m.
Wyoming 5, Air Force 2
1. Van Hollen, Carly/Summerfield, Sarah (WY) def. Rudico, Erlyn/Eromin, Katrina (AFA) 8-6
2. Berger, Rebecca/Nelson, Jamie (WY) def. Chermel, Allie/Monreal, Christen (AFA) 8-2
3. Cassman, Sarah/Abayan, Christine (AFA) def. Chaix, Carolina/Nochbaur, Kori (WY) 8-1
1. Summerfield, Sarah (WY) def. Avayan, Christine (AFA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Berger, Rebecca (WY) def. Monreal, Christen (AFA) 7-5, 6-2
3. Van Hollen, Carly (WY) def. Chermel, Allie (AFA) 6-2, 6-0
4. Cassman, Sarah (AFA) def. Chaix, Carolina (WY) 6-2, 6-3
5. Nelson, Jamie (WY) def. Eromin, Katrina (AFA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Young, Shannon (AFA) def. Pass, Calli (WY) 6-1, 6-1