March 10, 2003
Colorado Springs, Colo. - The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team opened up the weekend with a 5-2 victory over the UT Pan American Broncs, on Saturday night, in Colorado Springs. Wyoming now moves to 5-3 overall in dual play, while the Lady Broncs fall to 2-12 overall.
The Cowgirls jumped out early in doubles play with a clean sweep as the No. 1 team of Yuliani Santi and Jen Hancock defeated Elisabet Mateos and Ana Pena, 8-6. At the No. 2 doubles spot, the Wyoming team of Patricia Chien and Kati Gyulai beat Kathryn Waslen and Elysia Sloan, 8-6, and the team of Megan Williams and Gwen Moser closed out doubles play with an 8-5 win over Laura Boskovich and Julie Fife.
Wyoming would pull out four of five matches in singles play to earn the victory. Playing in the No. 1 spot, junior Yuliani Santi defeated Elisabet Mateos, 6-4, 6-0, while Patricia Chien pulled of the straight set victory, 6-3, 6-1, over Kathryn Waslen. Senior Kati Gyulai defeated Laura Boskovich, 6-0, 6-3 and Megan Williams won her match 6-2, 5-7 (10-5) over Alana Breen to help the Cowgirls to the 5-2 victory.
The Cowgirls will continue action tomorrow against Southern Utah at 8:00 a.m.
1. Yuliani Santi (UW) def. Elisabet Mateos (UTPA), 6-4, 6-0
2. Patricia Chien (UW) def. Kathryn Waslen (UTPA), 6-3, 6-1
3. Kati Gyulai (UW) def. Laura Boskovich (UTPA), 6-0, 6-3
4. Ana Pena (UTPA) def. Jen Hancock (UW), 7-6, 2-6, (10-8)
5. Megan Williams (UW) def. Alana Breen (UTPA), 6-2, 5-7 (10-5)
6. default to UTPA
1. Santi/Hancock (UW) def.Mateos/Pena (UTPA), 8-6
2. Chien/Gyulai (UW) def. Waslen/Sloan (UTPA), 8-6
3. Williams/Moser (UW) def. Boskovich/Fife (UTPA), 8-5