March 13, 2006
HONOLULU, Hawaii -
The University of Wyoming tennis team opened up the week on the road with a 5-2 loss against the Iowa State Cyclones, Monday afternoon, in Hawaii. The Cowgirls now drop to 6-5 overall.
"I thought we played very well in doubles today," said head coach Krissy Hall. "We switched things up and we ended up winning the point. We struggled in singles play, but I hope that we can learn from this match and continue that in the next couple of matches."
Two out of the Cowgirls three doubles teams won their matches to take the doubles point. The number one team of Andrea House and Karolina Rowinski defeated Jill Palen and Eve Soriano, 9-7, while Corina Lazar and Amy Senko earned an 8-5 win over Beth Chermel and Kara Hickey. The number three team of Michelle Brown and Jamie Nelson lost in their match against Chrissy Derouin and Danielle Uscinski, 8-1.
Only one Cowgirl won a match in singles play on the day. At the number four spot, Andrea House defeated Eve Soriano, 6-3, 6-2. Karolina Rowinski fell in two sets, 6-4, 6-1, against Jill Palen, while at the number two spot Patricia Chien fell against Kara Hickey, 6-4, 6-2. Danielle Uscinski defeated freshman Jamie Nelson, 6-0, 6-1. In the number five spot, Amy Senko lost in two sets, 6-2, 6-2, as did Michelle Brown, 7-6 (5), 6-3, to Caitlin Loprinzi.
The Cowgirls will have tomorrow off before resuming play on Wednesday, March 15, as they take on the Texas Tech Lady Raiders.
Iowa State 5 Wyoming 2
1. Jill Palen (ISU) def. Karolina Rowinski (WY), 6-4, 6-1
2. Kara Hickey (ISU) def. Patricia Chien (WY), 6-4, 6-2
3. Danielle Uschinski (ISU) def. Jamie Nelson (WY), 6-0, 6-1
4. Andrea House (WY) def. Eve Soriano (ISU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Chrissy Derouin (ISU) def. Amy Senko (WY), 6-2, 6-2
6. Caitlin Loprinzi (ISU) def. Michelle Brown (WY(), 7-6 (5), 6-3
1. House/Rowinski (WY) def. Palen/Soriano (ISU), 9-7
2. Lazar/Senko (WY) def. Chermel/Hickey (ISU), 8-5
3. Derouin/Uschinski (ISU) def. Brown/Nelson (WY), 8-1